Lathe search

I'm considering dipping into the lathe adventure and want to purchase a mini lathe. What features are necessary and what other specs should I be looking for? How good is Rikon products? Any name brand to stay away from? Any other info also appreciated.

Thank you.

Reply to
Justin Time

I'm considering dipping into the lathe adventure and want to purchase a mini lathe. What features are necessary and what other specs should I be looking for? How good is Rikon products? Any name brand to stay away from? Any other info also appreciated. ============================================================================== I have a Jet. Mine does not have a variable speed. The variable speed on a motor that small wastes to much power. Get a belt change type. I have not used a Rikon but have heard good things about them.

Reply to
CW

It really depends on where you are in your desire to get into turning. By that I mean, "Does it just seem like a neat idea, or do you have friends who turn and have seriously caught the bug?" If the former, (heresy disclaimer inserted) catch Harbor Freight's mini on sale. You get to turn, find out if you like it and it does no hit the pocket book so hard.

Also, you will need a set of gouges, Harbor Frieght also has a very servicable set of gouges (oh, believe me, if you got seriouly bitten by the bug you will upgrade) that will do very nicely for you while you are learning.

(In fact, if you catch the sale right, you can get their 12x36 lathe for a very reasonable price. Its a knock off of the Jet 12X36. - Again, if you really have the bug, you will upgrade, but this gets you in without selling your first born.)

Then a good book/video (I used Raffan's "Turning Wood") to give you some pointers.

Deb

Reply to
Dr. Deb

I would suggest as inexpensive as you can find and learn. Then upgrade and make a more educated choice.

Reply to
Leon

I have a Jet mini w/o the variable speed and it works great. I used one in a few local classes and decided it was the best for the money. Most turners in my area have one and/or a larger model. Our local turning club uses them for all the meetings, demonstrations and gatherings. Very well made, IMHO.

That being said, it's looking like I am going to have to sell mine this year. I hate to part with it but between the economy and my personal health, I just can't spend much time in front of it. I've already given away a good deal of wood to some club members and, let me tell you, it's really hard to part with wood, especially stuff like

150 year old pear wood. Oh well, life is what it is.
Reply to
Casper

My personal preference is the little General with the electronic speed control and swivel head, but it's expensive.

I worked at Woodcraft, we had 3 Jet minis and 3 Rikon minis in the classroom. The ones without electronic speed control. I liked the Rikon a little better because belt changing was easier for my large hands, but both proved they could stand up to heavy class use.

Your best be if you're patient is to look for a used lathe. Craigslist is a good place to look, Ebay has gotten overpriced.

I agree with another poster's suggestion of the high speed steel tool set from Harbor Freight. Great for a beginner. You might want to add a bowl gouge and maybe a larger spindle gouge as you progress.

For that matter, HF's mini lathe looks remarkably like a copy of the Jet. I have no idea of the quality, but HF does have a pretty good return policy. Just keep swapping till you get a good one :-).

luck. Try to find a turners club near you - you'll learn a lot quicker with some help.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

I asked about Rikon since I have $300 worth of gift cards for Woodcraft and a Rikon mini lathe cost $399. Comparing it to the other three floor models yesterday (Two Jets and a Delta), it was cheaper, but had the same HP. The one Jet VS and the Delta were variable speed. The other Jet mini and the Rikon were not. The Rikon length was longer than the two Jets but an inch shorther than the Delta.

I may take the plunge since the overall cost for me is $100.

Thanks for the input.

Reply to
Justin Time

Ummm you will need turning tools, about $300 worth for starters.

Reply to
Leon

Going for the variable speed model? Should be -well- worth the extra $30.

I may take the plunge since the overall cost for me is $100.

What turning tools do you have now? It appears that none comes with the lathe. HF used to have a halfway decent $10 set but it's $60 now. $30 in the Amazone:

Start with those, figure out which you want/need to spend some real money on, and upgrade only those gouges.

-- Energy and persistence alter all things. --Benjamin Franklin

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Yes, I did neglect the turning tools cost, but upon the advice given, I'll start with the HF tools or the Amazon as you listed.

Thank you

Reply to
Justin Time

The Rikon on Amazon is actually cheaper than the one in the store. Unfortunately, unless I can use my Woodcraft gift cards somehow with Amazon, I will have to purchase at the store.

Reply to
Justin Time

Any HSS tools will work great until you start to notice the difference in better steel. But, you may want to go ahead and spend the rest of the $300 Leon suggested on sharpening tools. Sharpening tools are multi-taskers so you will use them on more than just turning tools, even if you decide you don't like turning. And if you end up loving turning and upgrade to higher quality turning tools, you'll already have the sharpening tools.

Reply to
-MIKE-

I have several 15~20 turning tools and I hate sharpening. I am really seeing a lot of a new brand that never needs to be sharpened. They have replaceable carbide teeth tips and some have 4 new cutting edges. IIRC about $15 for replacement cutters. IIRC Craig of Kreg tools has introduced this line. Only need about $500 total for all the basic styles.

Leon

Leon wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Indeed, he needs turning tools, but there's no reason they have to be *that* expensive.

Reply to
Doug Miller

I saw that, but the VS is only available through Woodcraft via Amazon, evidently.

-- Energy and persistence alter all things. --Benjamin Franklin

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Reply to
-MIKE-

gouge? etc.. Good for turning pens and such, but not much good for general spindle turning. And zilch for faceplate turning.

For a set, the HF is the best for the money. But all the OP really needs to start turning is:

diamond parting tool

3/4" or 1" roughing gouge 3/8" or 1/2" spindle gouge 1/2" or 3/4" round nose scraper

In a pinch, he could make do with a spindle gouge and a parting tool, but that gets old pretty quick. When he gets around to bowl (faceplate) turning he can add a 1/2" bowl gouge.

But don't listen to me, here's a list from the local turners club:

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Larry Blanchard

Craigs List, Garage Sales,

You can get some nice used equip for a reas> I'm considering dipping into the lathe adventure and want to purchase a mini

Reply to
tiredofspam

pen turning. Works great!

Matt