Laser Kit

Does anyone know if it is possible to add a laser line to a mitre saw that was not originally equipped with one. If there are any kits available or are they non existent? Thanks for the input.

Reply to
lindquist

Last week a clerk at the lumberyard was telling me about a retrofit laser that just came in. I didn't pay any attention since I don't even have a mitre saw, but I know it exists.

Reply to
Wade Lippman

"lindquist" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@enews1.newsguy.com... : Does anyone know if it is possible to add a laser line to a mitre saw that : was not originally equipped with one. If there are any kits available or : are they non existent? Thanks for the input. : :

Bob Gramza

Reply to
Shawn

I had one on my Craftsman compound miter saw... Worthless IMHO. I find that I'd rather move and align the wood when the blade isn't spinning. You see, in order to give the line, they usually have to be spinning (the whole blade). The width of the beam is still a few mm, and the edges are fuzzy to .5mm or so. It's not accurate enough for me.

Putting a piece of 1/4 against the back vetically allows me to make cuts accurate to .002 inch. Measure with oak & calipers. Even a friend of mine (who never used tools) was able to cut just as accurate in 5 minutes of training. I just wrote down the dimensions I needed, and she cut 'em, accurate as anything I've ever seen. Tools needed:

Decent blade $50+, sharp pencil, 3"x12" piece of 1/4 plywood, and a measuring tape.

Reply to
c wood

This is one of the complaints that LaserKerf overcame.

Shawn (standard disclaimers here)

c wood wrote:

Reply to
Shawn

Laserkerf was mentioned so I must give my impression and my experience. I spent the $90 for the Laserkerf and mounted it to my Dewalt 12" MS. First thing that bothered me was turning it on with the cheap roller switch that had to be mounted behind the motor. Very inconvenient. After using it for about 3 weeks a chip of wood flew back and broke the glass lens which let sawdust cover the laser. People at Laserkerf refused to replace. Accuracy, so so. So I went back to my easy to use zero clearance insert and have been happily making dead on cuts since. Just my 2 cents, Al in WA

Reply to
Al in WA

Why?

I have not been all that impressed with the lasers I've seen so far. Why not simply make some zero clearance inserts for your saw, using the existing insert as a template, with a piloted router bit? That way, you'll know where the kerf is every time.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

They had a couple of these at the Woodworking show in Costa Mesa last weekend. One has a web site at

and replaces the retaining washer on the saw with one that has the laser, a centrifigal switch, and small batteries. The laser goes on when the blade starts to spin. The web site says it's $149.95; they were selling it at the show for $79.95.

The other one, which I can't remember if they had a web site, mounts to the blade guard.

Reply to
Mike Iglesias

Laserkerf is one. We have a review of it by Bill Esposito online at

a read before making any purchasing decision.

-- Regards,

Dean Bielanowski Editor, Online Tool Reviews

5 Reviews:

- Ryobi Reciprocating Saw

- Infinity Router Bits

- Incra Wonder Fence