Laminate flooring

Hi, I've got a job coming up and i'm trying to quote a price. How many square feet of "click" together flooring laminate should I expect to lay per hour. I've done a couple of other similar jobs but they had much more intricate cuts ect. I'm thinking that I should be able to lay 100 squer feet per hour? More /Less ? anyone with much experience. it's really a very simple project but just takes time. thanks

Reply to
Mcgyver

I can only tell you what my local dealer charges.

Installation: $2 a sq. ft.

Remove baseboards 50¢ a linear foot Install old baseboards same as removing. New baseboards are quoted separate. HTH, Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I quite recently installed Shaw laminate click /glueless in three bedrooms in my house this summer. The rooms are about 10 * 12, and the planks were 7 -9/16" wide I did all cutting in in my basement shop on a table saw, and only one board at a time. Assuming you have help putting it down, I think we took about 10 minutes per coarse (row). This includes measuring twice, cutting once , putting it in, and re-squaring the floor as needed. The final row always took much longer as it needed to be 'shoehorned in' and cutting for the door frame I think 100 ft/^2 is a bit optimistic - when you consider wood work and home renos is not my profession but rather my hobby and 'frugal' side, and I only worked on it when it was raining and couldn't go sailing, you might be able to proceed much faster than I.

Matt

Reply to
SlipJig

Hi Dave,

At least some of the click together stuff has considered the mosture problem. Most brands have the top and bottom laminated for waterproofness (well, maybe not the real low end stuff).. So that leaves you the edges to worry about. Some brands have a wax or other protective surface on the tongue/groves. I used QuickStep/Uniclick, and the joints are real tight and under tension which supposedly makes them water resistant.. that brand also has a water resistant core.. You can probably find a better explanation on their website.. I was only using it in an office and bedroom, so I wasn't too worried about water.. But they do recommend not wet mopping it.

Also, after installing it, you caulk between the floor and the space between the walls to seal it (covered later by 1/4 round molding).

In another house, I used pergo select in a kitchen which was glued.. I'm not sure I've met someone who has used click together in a kitchen/bath/high moisture.

I have talked to people that love the Armstrong click together product. That's worth looking into as well too. I forget if you can damp mop that kind or not.

The click together is so much less labor intensive.. no clamps, glue, etc.. But I'd research it further before putting it in a kitchen or bath..

Reply to
pete rose

thanks for the info, pete.

sounds like it would be WAY easier to install. I had to keep clamping all the boards together with the special clamps and webbing. plus all that gluing and wiping off the excess. it IS labor intensive. sounds like you've got the right idea - use it in a bedroom or office. I'd be leery of using it in the kitchen. When my dog finishes drinking from her bowl in the kitchen she leaves a long trail of water...

dave

pete rose wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

For those of you who have had Laminate flooring for more than 5 years now, Can you give me the low-down as to how the flooring has lasted, water resistance.

Also, interested to know if the floor makes noise since it is a "floating" floor.

Reply to
tweety

I've got wilson art in the kitchen which I laid about 4 years ago. It gets wet and hasn't been damaged at all. It makes NO noises of any kind. Wish I could say that about the rest of the house. I was careful to get enough glue on all the seams. If you don't install it correctly, you'll must likely suffer water damage when there's standing water over a partially glued seam.

dave

tweety wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

My Wilson Art is about 6 years old. It is on the stairs and the section from th e kitchen to the stairs, and on a landing. It looks perfect, as good as the day it was installed. Not a scratch on it and this is the heaviest traffic section of the house. It gets damp mopped about once a week. It makes no noise from being floating either.

I just put Mannington engineered wood in my family room and downstairs hallway. IMO, it looks better (real wood) but in six or twelve years will probably show more wear than the Wilson Art. It has only been in for a month, so I cant give more details on wear. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Ed,

if you've got a pooch, wait a couple more months, then you can give more details on the wear of the engineered wood! I'm afraid to let my dog on the newly refinished living room floor. Too much hard work to have it ruined in short order.

dave

Edw>>For those of you who have had Laminate flooring for more than 5 years

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

Small pooch. And very old. Sleeps about 23.5 hours a day.

It is not the floor I'd have with a big Lab or active beagle. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Try using a cleaner designed for flooring. They leave no residue, similar if not the same as Windex(I sometimes recommend a diluted solution of Windex as a substitute). You will see no streaks if its clean.

M Hamlin

Reply to
MSH

glad that's a "go" on the Windex. SWMBO uses the no-drip type on our Wilson Art kitchen floor when she wants it extra clean. otherwise one of us will hit it with the wet Swifter for a quick cleaning. Unfortunately, that leaves marks unless you go over it with a dry towel.

dave

MSH wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

Tried the special flooring stuff. Works better but still has some streaking and is freaking expensive! Best thing I've found is either toweling off after mopping or get results similar to the flooring cleaner by mixing up some alcohol, vinegar, and water. The streaking is really not an issue unless the blinds are open, sunlight is streaking across the floor, and the out-laws are coming over 8^)

Reply to
Bruce Rowen

Yep, It does have some fake "pores" and grain such that it looks like wood with a finish over it that is not glass smooth, but still...8^)

I'm sure every other surface in the house has the same problem 'cept I just can't see it (a good reason _not_ to install laminate flooring)

Reply to
Bruce Rowen

I look at it as "decoration". Once the utility disappears it is no longer required but usually stronger wills prevail 8^)

Reply to
Bruce Rowen

Get the premium padding for it.. My flooring shop said the WilsonArt premium padding was the best.. that's the one they use.. After having used the WilsonArt and the Pergo Silent step, I agree that the WilsonArt is the better of the two. Premium padding reduces the noise a lot (in contrast to the cheap padding). It won't squeak (assuming the subfloor does not squeak.. go ahead and screw down your subfloor to the joists before putting laminate down)..

Anyway.. the cheap padding lets you hear the clomping of feet.. the premium stuff dampens it.

Reply to
pete rose