Kreg Jig advice

On Fri, 13 Apr 2012 06:57:26 -0500, Leon

No, but it's just because of sheer stubbornness. About two years ago, just before I made my first Festool purchase (Domino and CT22), I bought a kit (5 tools and an accessory) of 18v DeWalt tools. And then, not too long ago, my tool dealer talked me into buying a 12v Li-ion impact drill. So, I have to wait until something dies, even a battery. I *have* been thinking of helping something along with a hammer, but hat would be cheating.

Well, I don't have a wife. Maybe I can borrow yours around Christmas time?

Reply to
Dave

Heck yeah! And give her the money like I did. LOL

Reply to
Leon

about 10 years now and it is a way to do nice projects.

Reply to
Pat Barber

Geez. I just had a quick look at some of your other projects. The TV stand is among the few that would be within my (current) skill range.

Reply to
Greg Guarino

When I bought my spiral, segmented cutter head planer instead of a cheaper 2 or 3 knife planer I did it because I appreciate the finer things in life. I didn't buy a Northfield however, knowing the 500 bucks I saved on not buying a $645 vacuum would pay for the quality cutter head on a good enough, affordable planer, it would not pay for a $20,000 Northfield planer...

Possible, I ain't gettin' younger.

Reply to
Jack

Yes, pocket screws are great. One of the few "shortcuts" I found that does what everyone says it does. I of course use the cheap $40 Kreg thing-ee:-)

I didn't glue at all since I've found that cross-grain and end-grain glue gains very little strength and that usually goes away after the first seasonal change.

Same, I never use glue with pocket screws, and it's meaningless in edge grain.

Reply to
Jack

See there Jack the Festool vac you are referencing and did not buy has already saved you $500 and you have not even bought it yet. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

On Tue, 17 Apr 2012 16:38:43 -0500, Leon

Don't tell him that. He's confused enough at it is.

Reply to
Dave

After making a couple of test joints I decided to forgo the glue. Here's the result:

without the top slats to show the structure:

put about 450 pounds on it with no hint of wiggle. This pocket screw thing has real possibilities. I built a shelf for a chain saw (in a few minutes) yesterday with them also.

Reply to
Greg Guarino

I built a Japanese style bridge 8 years ago in the back yard. Initially I was going to put the rails on by mortising them into the upright posts. Decided to to it quick and dirty with pocket hole screws. I filled the holes with dowels, then sawed them flush with a LV flush cut saw. It is still sturdy and still looks good. Picture in ABPW.

Reply to
G.W. Ross