July Las Vegas Show?

I am thinking of going to it. Anyone been there in the past with wisdom about how worthwhile it is, how much time it takes, whatever...

Reply to
Toller

While many of the familiar names in woodworking will be there, the focus of the show is on the more commercial aspects of WW.

Machines which take 4x8 plywood or melamine boards as inputs, deliver fully cut and finished cabinet parts as outputs! These machines take up the majority of the floor space, as there are many manufacturers exhibiting. Wood suppliers are there as well as drawer makers, glue manufacturers, finish suppliers, hardware vendors etc.

For a complete listing go to

go to their homepage at
went two years ago and although tiring, it was enjoyable for me.

Reply to
TinWoodsmn

I went about 10 years ago. Fascinating! Huge machines that spew out finished cabinets, etc. from raw input. However, first time I ever saw Norm live was at the show.

I'd say go, if you are interested in the commercial side, however, the "little" guys will most likely not be there to some degree but every year there are some new products introduced.

I know that there is a show in the Phila. area that I think is the best show for the hobbist/serious amateur

The latest Woodworking Shows here in Calif. have not been extremely interesting. I use to wait for them to happen and now I go about every OTHER year.

MJ Wallace

Reply to
mjmwallace

I am particularly interested in combination machines, so I want a show where they will all be. LV is the only one I could find. Is there another large consumer oriented show?

Reply to
Toller

Vegas in July can be very HOT! Last time I was there in July, my plane landed at 11PM and it was still 102=B0F. Be prepared.

Reply to
Scraper

Las Vegas took the place of the Anaheim show that used to alternate with the Atlanta show every other year. When in Anaheim, it was slightly smaller than Atlanta. I've not been since it has been moved to Las Vegas. May go this year though.

When not working the shows, I have done Atlanta and Anaheim in one very long day, however, I was cruising past a lot of stuff I had little interest in (large CNC Automated systems for factory processing, cabinet part suppliers, hinge and knob people, etc.) Plus I would lose some time (well spent) talking with old friends with whom I had worked with in the past. Seems like everyone in the industry, stays in the industry, just moves from company to company. Would be better to have a couple of days and take more time, particularly if you are planning to buy and want to compare. After all, it's Las Vegas, you might want to do some stuff unrelated to the WW show.

All the stationary machinery people and portable power tool and accessory people will be there. you just have to plan your route to get to them all. They tend to bunch them in the same areas.

I found it more valuable when I was actually looking for some things and planning to buy. I've made a few final decisions on buying at the show, and often you can get a show discount for something that is delivered to your home or processed through a local dealer.

I always like to spend some time in the student competition area. Some very nice and unique pieces in that competition.

Frank

Reply to
Frank Boettcher

Looks like General Finishes will be there - showing off their newly acquired Enduro and 3M Accuspray lines.

Heatheray