jointer switch on stalk?

has anyone used a jointer such as the Shop Fox where the switch is on a post that sticks up a foot or more higher than the fence? I would think that could get in the way and be a pain...

david

Reply to
david

Get in the way of what?

I have this Delta jointer

the switch on a post, and I've never found that to be a problem at all. What do you see as a potential problem?

Doug Miller

I have the Shop Fox. Never found that to be the case. It's great to not lean over and fumble around for a low mounted switch, particularly with a piece of wood still in hand. Additionally, the "ready" indicator light is also very handy. It's a great visually reminder that the tool is "locked and loaded." It reminds me to mind where my hands are.

I find it to be a very safe design.

Reply to
Rich Stern

Pods (at least those I have seen) are located BEHIND the fence should NOT be in the way

John

Reply to
John Crea

ditto, can't think of a better place for it.

all.

Reply to
ClemsonDave

Only if you fall on it.

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100

Hi Rich,

do you have the 6" or 8" SHop Fox? Have you been happy with it?

thanks,

david

Rich Stern wrote:

Reply to
david

Well, I just moved the power switch for my Delta Lathe up from its original location at the top of the pedestal to a stalk centered over, and a foot or so up from the headstock. I like it a lot there, although it will take me a while to get re-programmed to not slap at the front of the lathe when I am trying to turn things off. I also located the control switch for my RAS to the front of the turret arm...and that is VERY happy. Of course, both these switches are magnetic switches. The one on the RAS is also low voltage... The one on the lathe is 220V Dave Mundt

Reply to
Dave Mundt

I just got the 6" works fine. the screw hole that holds the knob for the back table adjustment had no threads. I could get the replacement part but I just tapped and threaded it. the fence as a slight twist in it. but hell my delta fence had a twist and a warp and the replacement was only warped. then the table twisted.

Reply to
Steve Knight

The way I had my shop arranged originally would have presented a problem with such a switch. I used the top of the 6" jointer fence, and an adjacent workbench, to support the end of sheet goods while I started the contractor table saw. The new shop arrangement places the Jet cabinet saw further from the DJ-20 and I support the end of the sheet goods on the jointer outfeed table while turning on the saw. Perhaps the original writer has a similar issue to my original set up?

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

Yes, my concern was for something like that, as i have a small shop...

david

John Grossbohl>>In article , david

Reply to
david