Jointer makes very small "scoops"

Hi all,

I have a very small non- branded jointer. It has three blades and, according to the math, makes about 12 - 13,000 cuts per minute.

It works fine but on occasion will leave very tiny scoop marks, one right after the other. Particularly in softwood.

Would that be a sign that the blades are getting dull ?

If so does anyone know of an inexpensive source for replacements? They are single edged and measure 4 1/8" X 1 1/4" X 1/16".

Thanks much,

Perk

Reply to
Perk

Try slowing your feed rate, and use sharp knives? Tom

Reply to
tom

Check with your local sharpening service, as they may be able to hook you up with new blades. You need 2 sets, right? Tom

Reply to
tom

Thanks for responding,

I don't if they're available but the cutter head has three knives on it.

Perk (:>)

Reply to
Perk

Perk wrote: > I don't if they're available but the cutter head has three knives on it.

Huh? Forgive me, but I don't understand what you've written (except the part about the three-knife cutterhead). Do you mean you don't_ know_ if they're available? A decent sharpening service should be able to make some for you, or at least aquaint you with someone who can. Tom

Reply to
tom

Mostly its a sign of fast feeding. Of course it sometimes conceals another problem, that of a low knife. Equivalent of fast feeding.

Dull knives will have a greater tendency to skate rather than cut, so it could indicate dull or dulling knives. Your ears should tell you whether or not this is the case. One late sign is the smashing of fiber on the scallops left on the wood.

Amazon or any other source should be able to fit knives for you. 4" jointers are not uncommon even in this day of cheap machinery. Put in the new set and send the old out for sharpening, unless you've got quantities of time or the proper jigs to do them yourself.

Reply to
George

Three things to check: Blades for sharpness and or nicks. (replace or re-sharpen) Belt slipping, causing the cutter head to spin to slowly during jointing. Motor - You say its and old - no-name, maybe the motor is warn and again causing the cutter head to spin to slow. Dave

Teamcasa