Jointer Joy at Last!!!

I once rode a tablesaw upside-down down a flight of basement stairs

Reply to
longshot

Today, my new Yorkcraft 8" jointer arrived. Over the weekend I was thinking of how many people it would take to get the thing down to my basement, and around a corner on the stairs. Looking at the crate, and realizing how big this sucker really is, it may just have to live in the basement.

Has anyone tried to get a monster like this down a flight of stairs with a corner, without completly disassembling the thing? I'm thinking if it goes downstairs at all, it may be easiest to do so while it's crated up. But then, if I ever move, I'd probably have to disassemble and get it back up in pieces.

Would moving straps work? I'm thinking of the ones I've seen movers put over their shoulders to carry heavy appliances, pianos, etc. with two people.

Reply to
Dave Miller

With the power on or off?

Reply to
mp

I'll be getting the 8" griz as soon as I get 220 in the new house next month. I took one look at the basement stairs and decided that I didn't want my delta contractor's saw going down them. I'll be insulating the garage instead. :-)

brian

Reply to
brianlanning

Think rope and pulley. You'd have to rerig at the corner, which might be difficult if there's no landing.

If it's a curve with no landing, rather than a 90 degree corner, it might go all the way with the one rigging.

Reply to
lgb

try small wheels attached to a scrap of ply. but does not the yorkcraft jointer have its own wheels? the thing to do would be to put some ply on the stairs and let roll down under your control

good luck

Reply to
leonard

I took mine around a corner and up a flight of stairs.

Here's how:

I built a stretcher out of 2 2x4's. 2 7' long pieces, and 2 crossbars about a foot long. Assemble like a tall "H" with two crossbars. attach this to the bottom of the table assembly. Then you can lift from then ends while supporting from the center.

For the stairs, we slid it on the stretcher.

Does that make sense?

We were able to do this with 2 40-ish not-especially-big guys. (but is was all we could handle).

-Steve

Reply to
Stephen M

How heavy is it? Do you have a window in your basement you could go through instead?

Reply to
toolguy

If the jointer is removed from the base, a couple of strong guys should be able to negotiate the stairs. I hope you enjoy your 8 inch Yorkcraft as much as I enjoy mine. The YC-8 is a very under-rated machine, mine was way out of adjustment when I got it. A dial indicator and a little persistance have brought everything into line. Now it makes flat stock out of warped and straight edges out of wainy. Dave

Reply to
Dave W

Reply to
Dave Miller

Reply to
Dave Miller

If you have two people - rope and pulley is the way to go. If just carrying it and someone slips going down the stairs - bad news.

Attach rope to unit. One person at top of stairs controls rope. Lower person pulls the unit down - a stair at a time - upper person keeps tension on rope and keeps it from sliding or dropping. Stop at the 90 degree landing. Reposition and repeat. Should balance the load so that neither has the full weight. Easier to do that explain .

Good luck -

Vic

Reply to
Vic Baron

That was up.

The stretcher was only a couple inches longer than the jointer and the same width. It removes any temptation to lift from the ends of the infeed and outfeed (which I hear is a no-no).

I still think it could work for you just to give you safe holding and a place to tie a rope if need be.

-s

Reply to
C & S