Jointer coplaner help

After waiting for many years I finally took the plunge and bought a Delta 195 6" jointer a few months ago but since then I've been trying to set it up properly with limited success. I found a web site suggesting the two tables have to be leveled with each other - co- planer they call it.

One or both of the tables are sagging and no amount of fiddling with the gib adjustment screws seems to help - I tried pulling up the table ends while adjusting as per Delta's instructions but they still sag. I've tightened the screws until the tables are too stiff to be adjusted but no better. Do these tables come off for internal adjustments? Should I be having these problems with a new jointer? Is it possible this jointer is defective ?

Any input would be much appreciated

Robert

Reply to
Robert

Yes.

get a refund or get a replacement.

You shouldn't have to struggle with a jointer other than to set height of outfeed table, make sure all blades are the same height and parallel to the table, and tension the belt. Everything else should be good to go. Sounds like the jointer version of the Delta band saw I had, which I did get a refund on after wasting too many hours trying to make it work properly. I'd suggest a Powermatic if you can get them to give you a refund. Otherwise demand a replacement.

dave

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

Dave

You are jumping the gun on this one. #1, what is he using to check "co-planer"? Not too many people spend the $$$ to get a straight edge that can tell him if he has a problem or not. #2, even if he has a true straight edge, he doesn't say how much out of "co-planer" he is. #3 he bought a Delta 6" probably spending under $500 yet expecting perfection (on that point I'll add that I own one and love it...it's not perfect but I realize I'm working with wood which maybe perfect now but just wait 5 minutes after machining it and it won't be). Minor imperfections will certainly be handled by glue and moderate clamping pressure.

More facts needed before you send him back to Delta for a replacement. And you need to let the bandsaw story go. It's getting rather old. If not a case of spending less than $500 and expecting perfection (BTW I have one of those too and love it also), then perhaps you got the occasional dog. But time to realize that "perfection" comes with $5,000 or more per machine. All just IMHO of course.

Reply to
Tom Kohlman

Someday, it'll all be over....

Reply to
Tom

When I buy something that doesn't work as advertised, it either goes back for a refund or a replacement. End of story on that score. Not everyone that posts here knows the band saw saga...

dave

Tom Kohlman wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

I'm pretty certain they do. In fact, the other day I was on line at the Pigg-a-ly Wigg-a-ly (Like Von's only without the strikers Paddy) and there were these two old wimmen (looked to be in their 80's), even they knew about it.

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100

And those two wimmen told two wimmen who told two wimmen...............

Jim

Reply to
James D Kountz

I know what a Piggly-Wiggly is!