joinery costs

Iam looking for a good sorce of imfo for build up labour rates for making custom joinery from windows to stairs .I know that all workshops are different ,and people do things in a different way ,but all the same looking for some imfo that i can bulid on in spread sheet format . Thanks

Reply to
paul flint

I bill $100 an hour, four hour minimum. I don't to stairs but the Florida stairman does.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

That's nothing. I bill $400/hr, three week minimum.

So far, no takers, but that's besides the point.

Reply to
mp

Reply to
Will

There is an old formula that applies to almost any manufacturing business that goes something like this:

30% Materials 30% Labor 30% Overhead 10% Profit ++++++++++++++++++ 100% = Sell Price

Sometimes you need to massage the labor and material numbers a little bit.

For example, if the materials used have a lot of waste, might use only

10%-15% for materials.

It works for me.

YMMV

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

For whatever it is worth... After years of working with manufacturers, they still seem to be fond of the "two times" table -- and if not they seem to fail...

  • Materials
  • Labor
  • Overhead
  • Contingency _______________

X 2

= Selling price

i.e. 50% profit

Lew Hodgett wrote:

Reply to
Will

In my industry we are lucky to sell at 2X material and still have to pay the labor, overhead, etc. Guess we are in the wrong business.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

The 'safe' figure to use is "an arm and half a leg"

Any 'realistic' answer is going to have an uncertianty range of _at_least_ a factor of five, more likely ten. Which is so broad as to make it 'useless'.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

Judging by the spelling, you are in a Commonwealth country, so local conditions will be key, but in Washington, DC casual labor retails at $80/hour. Skilled goes higher.

Reply to
johnny999_99

Well - I thought you had at least a reasonable answer. :-) I have noticed that most people seem to forget that they are also charging for the tools and transportation - not just labour and materials.

Last few car repairs I notice the shop rate varied form $65 to $105 depending on the shop and the overhead in terms of specialty equipment.

As long as you provide value for money people will pay your rate - no matter how high or low.

Edw>>For whatever it is worth... After years of working with manufacturers,

Reply to
Will

Unless you actually ask him a stair question, then he disappears.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

He's probably busy in the kitchen roasting a chicken.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski