Is it OK ot mix brands of lacquer

My intuition is to never change brands in the middle of a painting / coating job

- however not sure if that applies to lacquer.

Specifically - first coat applied is Watco rattle can clear satin lacquer and will need more to finish the final coats.

Am having difficulty finding Watco on the shelf locally - and would like to use Deft rattle can clear satin to finish the job.

Appreciate any guidance from those that may have experience when trying this.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Doug

Reply to
Douglas R. Hortvet, Jr.

job - however

I can't say for _sure_ because I've never tried that exact scenario, but I seriously doubt that it will cause a problem. Nitrocellulose lacquers are pretty much all the same. To be clear (no pun intended), you *will* be simply adding another _full_ topcoat of Deft to the entire piece, and not trying to complete the job such that one part is Watco and the rest is Deft, correct?

Reply to
Steve Turner

however

I've not had any problems switching brands between coats. However I'd be reluctant to switch mid coat in case of color or sheen differences. I have also found that using satin for all the coats muddies up the grain so I use gloss for the undercoats and just use satin for the top coat. This gives me a much better result IMO. Your taste may vary. Art

Reply to
Artemus

Thanks Steve.

I should have been more specific - my plan is to apply coats of Deft over a complete and dried coat of Watco lacquer - not changing brands in the same coat.

Now if the weather will just cooperate!

Regards,

Doug

Steve Turner wrote:

job - however

Reply to
Douglas R. Hortvet, Jr.

Thanks Art.

Your guidance about using gloss for the undercoat makes sense - although I already have applied a satin coat of the Watco product.

I understand that a new lacquer coat will melt into the previous coat - although have no idea the result of applying gloss over satin and then finish with a satin coat.

Will try your recommendation the next time when starting with a sealed surface.

Regards,

Doug

"Artemus" wrote:

Reply to