Interesting information about Titebond wood glues

Titebond Extend glues have a half shelf life of the non extend/regular wood glues. The extend glue is simply regular wood glue with with large particles added to block the wood's pores. This blocking of the wood pores extends the open glue time. Given time the large particles will settle to the bottom of the glue bottle and the remaining regular glue at the top of the bottle will be more like standard glue with a shorter open time. Extend type glues should be stirred, not shaken, every few months to prevent this separation and to prevent the large particle from sticking to each other. As much as 5% water can be added and stirred in to return the glue to it's normal viscosity should the separation occur. this may or may not help.

Titebond extend glues have a shelf life of "1" year. Regular Titebond glues have a shelf life of "2" years. Remember this is the time from date of manufacture, not when you open it.

Titebond puts a date code on each bottle, the actual plastic bottle, not on the label.

Here is how you read the code.

The first letter is A for made in America, the first digit after the A is the last digit of the year of manufacture, the third and fourth digits represent the month, the fifth and sixth digits represent the day of the month and the last four digits represent the batch number.

Example:

A104270023 ? This material was manufactured on April 27, 2011

The example that Titebond used in this example is at least 8 months past its shelf life.

Reply to
Leon

As I am reading this on December 19 2013 I would say it would not hit the 8th month mark until Friday next week... :)

Reply to
Larry W

Oh I'm sorry, I was counting 4 weeks for a month. ;~)

Reply to
Leon