Titebond Shelf Life

I have about a 1/2 gallon of Titebond from a one gallon jug I that I've had about 10-11 years. I have used it occassionally but bought a new bottle of Titebond II for some important work just be be sure. Seems to be OK.

Anyone know what that practical shelf life of Titebond I would be? I hasn't been exposed to temp extemes - well maybe a couple of times to some high heat. But I'm in S. California so no problem with freezing.

Thanks.

Reply to
Jerry

"...Most of our yellow and white glues, including Titebond Original and Titebond II, remain usable beyond two years. Should Titebond Original become thick and stringy, or Titebond II turns into an orange colored gel, these changes signify that the glue is no longer usable. The minimum shelf life of Titebond III is stated as one year, when stored appropriately at room temperature. Titebond III is expected to last beyond its stated shelf life. If thickened, shake vigorously by firmly tapping bottle on a hard surface until product is restored to original form...."

"...we view the stated shelf life of most of our glues merely as a guideline to avoid potential aging concerns. In reality, as long as products like Titebond Original, Titebond II and Titebond III remain fluid, without drastic change in appearance, they will continue to perform as intended..."

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

When I went to Rockler today to buy the 4oz Titebond Glue, they had gallonS of Titebond Glue for $2.00/gal! It was all yellow on top (dated) and just felt didn't want to take a chance. They told me all I would need to do is stir it and then it'll be fine.

According to Titebond website, it has 2 years shelf life.

Chuck

Reply to
CNT

Hehehe, you are way past the rated shelf life, 1 year I think. For yellow glue I only use Elmers Carpenters, but I have a gallon jug that is at least

3 years old, probably more like 5. In the future I will date the jugs, but at the time did not. As for practical life, I use it until it tells me not to, which would be something like color, consistency, odor, particulates, separated glue plasma, or anything else that made me suspicious. If I had any doubts I would dump it. I keep it in a dark cupboard. It does get hot in the closed up shop in summer time. I am also in SoCal, so freezing is not gonna happen. I am sure Titebond is equally shelf stable. But it is your table top that will split, not mine, so use your own judgment. You could always do a test glue up. If the initial bond is good, I would not expect the long term performance to be any different.

--

******** Bill Pounds
Pounds on Wood

I asked TB about how long the yellow glue with the red cap lasts and they told me indefinitely. Add a little warm water to the jug or bottle and stir it up good and you are good to go. Be careful not to make it to thin. Add a little at a time until you get it the consistency it was when you bought it. I didn't ask them about the glue with the blue cap.

Reply to
Joe