installing rocklet router plate - help!

I am having some difficulty instaling a Rockler router plate i am hoping i can get some opinions.

I am actually build the New Yankee router table. I purchased the router plate from rockler, and after having much difficulty trying to make a template for it, i bought the template from them as well. figured since the top sans the plate was complete, i would test the template on scrap to ensure i had everything correct. I routed it out, and it seemed to me there was too much play around the plate when inserted, but i thought the clamps did not hold properly. I tried again with double-stick tape and i know it held...same results. I tried to shim the distance on the interior of the template with tape, didn't help (or maybe i didn't use enough). I also tried to put tape around the bearing on the bit...same result.

So what can i do to get this template to work? Or is the play around the template acceptable? I'd say it only about 1/16", but it seems like with the tempate, it should be better. I am routing out of MDF and contemplated tracing the plate and shim the template to get close to the line, and then sand it to fine tune the fit. It seems like the template is useless for a perfect fit at this point.

Help!

Reply to
crashball