INSPIRATION - Rifle/Gun Carrying Case

I'd been planning for awhile to make a carrying case. I'd looed at a lot of pictures, but didn't find anything I really wanted to make. So, I got to thinking about just how i wanted to do up with it, and came up with a very similar design, except for the innards. I found this one after I'd already decided on my design. Now I just have to decide on what hinges and clasps I want. Nothing fancy, maybe something along the ling of black iron hinges. That's the easy part. The hard part will be deciding on the handle. May just drill a couple of hole and use a chunk of rope. I'm not about to try to make it look old, but I would kinda like it in an old style. That's why I'm concerned about what type of handle. I'd prefer to make my own, not buy. I'd like leather, but not reall sure how I'd fasten it on. I'd rather go with rope than just tack the leather on, I think. No rush, I've got some more measuring to do before I start, and I've got several other projects to finish up too. I think I may make a pistol case too, for my .177 pump-up air pistol..

J T

How about this one?

Ferd Farkel

How about a leather trunk handle and end caps. I recently refinished a large trunk and had to replace the handles. I was able to find the leather straps at a local furniture refinisher. If you secure the end caps well, this should work in you case and look old-style as well.

HTH Bill

Reply to
Bill

Music stores might be a good bet for sturdy case handles. People don't like their $2500 guitars hitting the ground.

Reply to
Ferd Farkel

Unless thay are Deep Purple or Motley Crue . . . or early Who. Then it's expected.

FoggyTown

Reply to
FoggyTown

...snippity...

Maybe thread a rope or two through, as you mentioned, but slip or attach a tube of leather around the rope in the middle? Methinks that would be more comfortable to, erm, handle than just a rope, and keep the same sort of old-timeyness vibe going.

Reply to
Andrew Erickson

Reply to
strikerspam

Whoops. Rather than that. After taking a look at the message again. I have a suggestion.

If you can get the leather, Then all you need to do is talk with a blacksmith have him make 2 plates that look like this _|T|_ the T section can be changed to hold you chosen leather strap size. The center of the T serves two purposes. One it keeps the leather from being crushed and the central pin provided by the T alllows for the strap to slide. Use the flat tabs to secure the fitting to the case.

Conversely you could drill two holes and attach your strap with a couple of brass rivits.

The first selection does make it easier to replace the strap if it fails for some reason.

Reply to
strikerspam

Sat, Oct 6, 2007, 8:49pm (EDT-3) snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Ferd=A0Farkel) doth query thusly: How about this one?

Not only NO, but HELL no.

J T

Sun, Oct 7, 2007, 9:59am snipped-for-privacy@bellsouth.net (Bill) doth query: How about a leather trunk handle and end caps. I recently refinished a large trunk and had to replace the handles. I was able to find the leather straps at a local furniture refinisher. If you secure the end caps well, this should work in you case and look old-style as well.

I'd already considered that. And declines. However. There is "always" a however. However, reading your post did give me an inspiration, that I'll be following up on. I'll be checking on braiding a handle, and if that doesn't pan out, may well go with a leather strap handle. But not a trunk handle.

J T

Sun, Oct 7, 2007, 9:55am (EDT-3) snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Ferd=A0Farkel) doth sayeth: Music stores might be a good bet for sturdy case handles. People don't like their $2500 guitars hitting the ground.

I did say I preferred to make my own. And, it'll be Hell for stout, no way do I intend to drop a case on the ground that's got my custom squirrel rifle in it. So, no I don't think I'll be buying any handle at all. Unless I totally run out of ideas, and I don't see that happening anytime soon. If nothing else, I'll fasten a couple of short chunks of wood on the top of the case, then run a handle of hardwood across them. I've seen some fancy (at least asking a high price for them) wood brief cases and such, like that. I think I'll run thru my thoughts on leather handles first tho.

J T

Sun, Oct 7, 2007, 3:33pm snipped-for-privacy@drewe.reversemail.net (Andrew=A0Erickson) doth sayeth: Maybe thread a rope or two through, as you mentioned, but slip or attach a tube of leather around the rope in the middle? Methinks that would be more comfortable to, erm, handle than just a rope, and keep the same sort of old-timeyness vibe going.

Yup. I'd been thinking along the lines of wrapping with rope, to bulk it up for comfort; but the leather might well be more comfortable - probably easier to do too. I've got an old easy chair, that might well do. Must have been a damned big nauga someone shot, to get that much hide, or maybe just several little ones.

J T

Sun, Oct 7, 2007, 3:33pm (EDT-3) snipped-for-privacy@iinet.com doth posteth: Try this.

Holy Bat Crap, Batman. $15? That's more than I'd been figuring on for the entire finished case. I'll pass.

J T

"J T" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@storefull-3336.bay.webtv.net... Sun, Oct 7, 2007, 9:55am (EDT-3) snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Ferd Farkel) doth sayeth: Music stores might be a good bet for sturdy case handles. People don't like their $2500 guitars hitting the ground.

I did say I preferred to make my own. And, it'll be Hell for stout, no way do I intend to drop a case on the ground that's got my custom squirrel rifle in it. So, no I don't think I'll be buying any handle at all. Unless I totally run out of ideas, and I don't see that happening anytime soon. If nothing else, I'll fasten a couple of short chunks of wood on the top of the case, then run a handle of hardwood across them. I've seen some fancy (at least asking a high price for them) wood brief cases and such, like that. I think I'll run thru my thoughts on leather handles first tho.

Perhaps the notion of a handle could be modified a bit to include a handle with leather straps that encircle the case--little change they'd break off at an inopportune moment.

shows a canvas and leather case that shows the concept. Leather straps around wooden cases isn't unusual...
been known to sacrifice parts of his body to keep a fine firearm from hitting the ground. ;~)

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

Sun, Oct 7, 2007, 3:41pm (EDT-3) snipped-for-privacy@iinet.com doth sayeth: Whoops. If you can get the leather, Then all you need to do is talk with a blacksmith have him make 2 plates Conversely you could drill two holes and attach your strap with a couple of brass rivits. The first selection does make it easier to replace the strap if it fails for some reason.

Oh, yeah, I can get leather. There's always a cat or squirrel running across the street in front of my vehicle. Or, there's alway road kill. No prob there.

I've already talked to a blacksmith too. Several years ago, at the state fair. Nice guy. But, I'd not need a blacksmith to make something like that. But, it's a bit gimmicky for me. If I was gonna go with rivets, I'd want four or five on each end, instead of two - both for strength, and looks. Be no biggie to drill out rivets for replacement if need be. But, it did give me another inspiration. May well have to make several cases, each with a different handle.

J T

"little chance" that is...

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

Your rope idea would be damned near unbreakable if you used SS aircraft cable.

Reply to
Ferd Farkel

Agreed. I can't play plectrum.

Reply to
Ferd Farkel

Sun, Oct 7, 2007, 8:42pm snipped-for-privacy@nospam.earthlink.net (John=A0Grossbohlin) doth sayeth: Perhaps the notion of a handle could be modified a bit to include a handle with leather straps that encircle the case--little change they'd break off at an inopportune moment.

shows a canvas and leather case that shows the concept. Leather straps around wooden cases isn't unusual...

Hmm. Leather handles. with encircling straps, interesting Hadn't though of that one. Kinda appeals.

Considered straps, then unconsidered. But did get a thought or two from the interior picture.

J T

Sun, Oct 7, 2007, 7:47pm (EDT-3) snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Ferd=A0Farkel) doth sayeth: Your rope idea would be damned near unbreakable if you used SS aircraft cable.

Wouldn't be rope then tho, would it? But, send a few feet along, you paying shipping, and I'll give it a try.

J T