In Remembrance ...

Everyone's friend, Rob Sekeris "Robatoy" passed away 12/29/2012

We miss you here, Bubba.

Reply to
Swingman

I agree.

Reply to
Dan Coby

Wow... three years already... ditto.

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

Yep, I have one of, if not the last thing he built on his CNC, it is a proud addition to my kitchen and dang handy too. He was too ill at the time to come out and install it himself and just sent it by courier, I installed it with a bit of his advise.

A very generous and funny man that is missed.

Reply to
FrozenNorth

Some folks you just don't need to meet face to face to feel like you both knew them, and, at the same time, knowing that you'd just met a friend for life ... no matter how short that turned out to be. Robatoy was definitely one of those individuals.

A year or so before Rob passed away, -MIKE- Radcliffe sent Robatoy, Steve Turner and I a special beer, via snail mail, and after delivery, arranged a Google video Hangout for us to meet and drink a toast.

One of those cool things the internet makes possible (for the non-Luddites amongst us, that is ). Will always be appreciative to -MIKE- for recognizing that, and making it happen.

Rob was ill at the time, but you would not have known it, as he sat in his robe, with his pup on his lap, and regaled us with his unique sense of humor, and Angela joined in for a bit as well.

We talked about expanding it, just never got around to it. Damned shame that is, for it indeed left a lasting memory of special friends, with a common interest, whom you may never actually meet in person.

Reply to
Swingman

Yep, I agree totally, it is just a small shelf made from cutoffs from his counter materials, it sits above the oven with veggie oil, olive oil, vinegar bottles, a mortar/pestle, salt and pepper and a timer, all so handy to have at immediate reach when cooking. He lived about three hours away, the timing never worked out to actually meet.

Reply to
FrozenNorth

Totally agree. I never met Rob in person because we just never could organize it. But, over the years, here online, I got to know the man and he got to know me.

Reply to
none

Indeed. I alway enjoyed his posts and the fact that you started this shows he was one of the good ones.

dadiOH

Reply to
dadiOH

Yes we do!

Reply to
Leon

And just as a follow up, some of us here lovingly blame him for our Festool addiction. I think before Festool was on the radar for many of us he pointed me towards a German video showing this amazing brand new European tool called a Domino. And he could not say enough about the Rotex. Good advice and direction from a great guy!

And don't get me started on his view of KetcUP. LOL

Reply to
Leon

Yeah... Rob loved being in the cutting edge of things. He loved his tools and chided me on and off line for not purchasing an oscillating tool for my remodeling/repair efforts. Turned out he was right, when the Fein kits we re around $350, it still would have been a bargain.

I remember his love of Lamello, and he needled me a lot about buying the ve nerated PC557. I wouldn't buy a Grex pin nailer, another tool he I needed and that would find its way into the conversation along with his lov e of his Rotex sanders.

I loved to see Rob push buttons, and he had the direct line to tick some pe ople off. He wasn't mean about it, but loved to stir the pot, then sit bac k and laugh.

Sadly, I lost touch with Rob when this group became almost completely a pol itical screaming match and I went away. Although he was a great craftsman and innovator (carving the sheaves of wheat with his CNC mill onto kitchen cab doors blew my mind) I miss his sense of humor the most.

Gone but not forgotten.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

Yep, the top three buttons Robatoy always loved pushing were marked:

  1. SketchUp
  2. SketchUp
  3. SketchUp
Reply to
Swingman

IIRC he always left the S off. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

Here is a picture of the shelf he made me, it is so handy having those item handy when cooking.

FrozenNorth

Yep, Good idea, easy to clean, and inflammable to boot.

As the cook of the family I'd find that handy also. Thanks for posting.

Reply to
Swingman

He wanted some pictures after I had it up on the wall, apparently some people had seen it and were interested in one. I think it was a one off though as he unfortunately passed several months after I got it.

He just recommended PL7000 to attach it to the tile and it has been rock solid and not having to dive into the cupboards to find that stuff is so handy when cooking. I just spread the adhesive on the back, propped the shelf on some cans of kernel corn on the back of the stove, pushed it against the wall and waited a few hours.

Reply to
FrozenNorth

Has it been that long already? Wow. Seems like last week.

I didn't know him well but I always enjoyed his posts and appreciated his input on all things.

Reply to
Casper

Point of pedantry: Of the trio of words for that idea (flammable, inflammable and non-flammable), only the last one refers to things that

*don't* burn.

Why three (or even four if you count non-inflammable) terms for a binary concept? Who knows.

Greg Guarino

Highly inflamed by your pendatry ...

"It either flams, or it doesn't flam ..."

;)

Reply to
Swingman

I often wondered why fuel trucks had inflammable instead of just flammable.

Reply to
Leon