I need a woodworker ... please

My house has wood framed single hung windows. There is a bay window in the dining area. The company that made the windows is out of business and their design didn't seem to consider that rain and snow would run down the outer glass and seep into the lower sash piece. One of the sash bottoms has bowed and is starting to split. Based on experience (in a prior life) it seemed to be an easy job to make a replacement piece. There are no non-standard or custom cuts and the design is pretty straightforward and seems to require only common tooling.

I removed the sash and disassembled the frame so I could take the bowed and

splitting lower piece to a local "Norm Abrams" type woodworker and have one made. Problem is, there doesn't seem to be a local "Norm Abrams" anywhere in my area. I've called or visited every "cabinet maker" I could find but apparently the title "cabinet maker" now means ... I can order cabinets for you, but not actually make anything. I found a scant 3 listing in the Yellow Pages for "millwork" but none of these places was interested in my job. I called a bunch of carpenters but no luck there either.

I went to the local woodworker's supply and they couldn't point me to anyone who could help either. This is not a complicated job. If it were metal and I had a milling machine with common tooling I could make one out of steel in about 3 hours.

I would be happy to ship the piece to you if you would make me a new unbowed and unsplit one. I really hate to replace an entire bay window to solve this problem.

Since I discovered this problem I have "sealed" the glass to the sash on all the wooden windows with a really nice "plasticized" latex paint.

If anyone out there can and will help I would really appreciate it.

To reply by email delete "_nospam" from the email address

Reply to
Steve

Steve,

What is "your area?" We're all over the place; perhaps someone near you can simply do it for you without all that shipping hassle.

-BAT

Reply to
Brett A. Thomas

If you think you can do this in metal, why not use the machine tools on wood? It can work. I've done a few small jobs on machine tools.

John

Reply to
John Thompson

This is good to know, Steve.

I assume that this relates to some previous post, however, since you changed the subject, I don't know what.

Dave Hall

Reply to
David Hall

Try checking with people listed here:

Charles Jones

He was the fella looking for a woodworker to fix his warped sill.

Reply to
Brett A. Thomas