How to tell if a saw blade is sharp?

I guess it's sharp.

-MIKE-

Trick I learned by accident a while back--if your blade is all gunked up, use it to saw a few strips off a piece of UHMW.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Hmmmmmm.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Isn't UHMW the same as PVC only different?

Reply to
HeyBub

No. PVC is vinyl, UHMW is polyethylene or polypropylene processed for very long molecular chains with much crosslinking. It has quite remarkable resistance to abrasion and some self-lubricating properties--I don't know what it does to a saw blade when you cut it but I do know that I had a blade that was burning everything I cut--I was ready to send it out for sharpening--and I cut a piece of UHMW with it and after that it was working like new. I don't know whether it got some UHMW in the pores or whether the UHMW gave it a good cleaning or both.

Reply to
J. Clarke