How to remove yellowish color from white pickled floors

A contractor who evidently had no idea what he was doing did something terribly wrong when he refinished my wood floors in my apartment. We asked for a white finish -- I don't know what the "pickled" part of the description means since no brine was involved (bad attempt at humor) -- and wound up with something that was white when we paid the man but turned yellow in many areas shortly thereafter. I believe the fellow used the wrong kind of urethane finish.

Is there anyway to salvage this without starting all over again? Heck, I'd be happy if I could just address the exposed areas between rugs and furniture to start with.

Thanks in advance!

-Gene

Reply to
smig

He probably used an OIL based varnish. Oil based varnishes will yellow over time. Actually they immediately change the color a bit when applied.

A WATER based varnish will normally yield a crystal clear non yellowing finish.

Reply to
Leon

Ditto Leon.

The coloring solids left behind are larger particles than normally used in a finish which allows them to go on so unevenly and out of suspension (as opposed to paint). The particles are usually some kind or ceramics or in the case of others, some kind of metallic oxide.

At any rate, they are more pourous and will attract the oils, etc. at a different rate than the areas with less "pickle". This will then make the finish uneven. Then, the chemical reactions between the finishes (and in some cases the pickling agent has no finish at all and is considered a "treatment") will cause the yellowing.

I personally don't think this is fixable. If you refinish, there are some great waterborne finishes out there to try again.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

alt.home.repair may have some better answers but meanwhile, contact the contractor, show him the floor and say "fix it".

Bob S.

Reply to
BobS

Reply to