How to remove tile glue?

Nephew's house, an old farm built in the 1940s, original hardwood floors. Tile flooring added in 1970s, then later topped with carpet.

They are remodeling/updating. They want to restore the hardwood floors. The old tile has black glue adhesive. The glue is removable with kerosene, but they don't want the lingering kerosene odor.

I haven't seen the stuff, was only sent pics. We need advice for removing this glue the easiest way. I don't know what kind of glue this is, though I think it may be contact cement.

Any input and advice is welcome as to how may be the best way, the best product to use to remove the glue. Might any of you guys know?

Pics, scroll right for 3 more pics.

Thanks for any help. Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

I suppose a solvent is needed. What kind, brand that has the least odor?

Or some other method of removal without damaging the floor?

Thanks. Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Error on that above link. Try this one.

Sonny

There is probably no easy solution. I would think that most any product to dissolve the old adhesive will leave a lingering odor. Maybe acetone, it evaporates pretty quickly. But use in a WELL ventilated area!!!

Then,

I would try sanding with a very coarse grit sand paper to help prevent loading.

Alternatively, a new engineered floor on top.

Reply to
Leon

Careful! Some black mastics contain asbestos. Something worth investing before considering sanding it off.

"Does My Floor Have Asbestos-Based Floor Adhesive? Containing between 15 and 85 percent asbestos, these adhesives were manufactured mostly in the first half of the 20th century. However, some companies produced asbestos adhesives as late as 1984. Therefore, if your house was built or remodeled around 1984 or before, there is a chance that black mastic adhesive on your floor may contain asbestos."

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Also - normal dust masks are not useful to protect against asbestos

- proper respirators are a must - properly worn - along with all the other safety precautions. When I went through some training many years ago - the instructor even warned against having a 2 or 3 day beard stubble - it would affect the seal on a proper respirator. John T.

Reply to
hubops

I did a quick google search and found this

It recommends using heat and a scraper. There are other articles that say use hot water to soften the glue, but as stated in the above article there is the possibility of damaging the wood.

Being from the 1940, I suspect the wood is thick enough that once the glue is mostly gone the standard sanding and varnish treatment should return the wood to its 1940 condition.

One warning, once you are finishing the floors, remember SPONTANEOUS COMBUSTION. It is not a theoretical concept to be studied in school, but real and could cause a fire that would burn the house down.

Reply to
knuttle

On Thursday, November 12, 2020 at 11:34:39 AM UTC-6, snipped-for-privacy@ccanoemail.ca

Thanks guys. Never thought of an asbestos issue. Channon did say there was a paper backing on the tiles, if he was able to determine it was actually paper. He also doesn't know of these things.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Yeah, even with my lack of knowledge, I suspected there is no easy remedy.

Thanks. Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Try googling mastic remover they do have some that claim to be low odor/odor free.

Reply to
Jay Pique

I'm so out of touch with this sort of issue I didn't know to use the term or ask about "mastic".

Thanks All. Sonny

Reply to
Sonny