How to recover from wet-sanding a Watco finish?

Hi all-

After I applied one coat of natural Watco, my project looked *exactly* as I wanted it to: the grain had popped nicely and there was a low sheen to the surface. Then I took the advice of some of the finishing books and wet sanded the second coat with 600 grit. Now the sheen is completely gone. Is this because the surface of the first coat got scuffed or because the sanding dust is mixed in with the second coat and obscuring the first? Or both? I need to know whether to rub out what's there or sand it down. Anybody know about this problem?

Thanks.

-Tom

Reply to
nireedmot

Most likely the mix of dust on the surface now. I get reflective surfaces when only sanding with 180 grit. I doubt that 600 would dull the shine.

Reply to
Leon

Buff it out with 0000 steel or synthetic wool, then hit it with some good paste wax (Butchers is my favorite). robo hippy

Reply to
robo hippy

You can recover the sheen by buffing (dry) with purple, then gray, then white synthetic steel wool. Those are the pads that are similar to Scothbrite (green) pads. DON'T use the green pad!!

Dave

Reply to
David

Wet sanded it with *what*? More watco, I hope. Did you wipe it off well afrer sanding? If not, do it again. Or - as others said - use

0000 steel wool and wax.

Another possibility - you didn't wipe off enough originally leaving a surface film which appeared shinier after drying than the finish should be. Your wet sanding removed that surface film and it now appears as it normally should be. I kinda suspect that is it and the wax with/without steel wool will fix it. You only need the steel wool if the surface feels less than baby butt smooth.

dadiOH's dandies v3.06... ...a help file of info about MP3s, recording from LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that. Get it at

dadiOH