How to find Riftsawn?

Asking here first, since you all know I'm an idiot. The guys at the Hardwood store don't (or at least they don't let on that they know).

In Denver, I do a lot of my purchases from Paxton. Seems like they carry flatsawn oak and quartersawn.

In the tambouret I just finished, the cathedral grain from the flatsawn boards look pretty ugly (IMHO) on the legs. I think I'd have preferred "flatsawn" stock.

I'm **assuming** that the price of riftsawn is between flat a quartersawn.

If so do I simply ask if they "stock riftsawn"? Or will there be some riftsawn stock in the bin and I simply have to sort through to find it? Or do I "make my own rift" by cutting quartersawn a certain way?

Reply to
mttt

In article , "mttt" wrote: [snip]

IME, it's usually the same price as quartersawn.

Won't hurt to ask. But it's more likely that any riftsawn lumber they have is simply placed in the same bin with the quartersawn. Most lumber suppliers don't seem to make a distinction.

Make your own riftsawn lumber by cutting wide *flatsawn* boards. For example, if you need 2" square riftsawn stock for making table legs, cut them from flatsawn 8/4 boards 8 or 10" wide, at the edges -- where the grain is at a steeper angle to the face.

Example: (best viewed in a monospaced font such as Courier)

|-----------------------------------| | / / / ---------- \ \ \ | | / / / ------------ \ \ \ | | / / / -------------- \ \ \ | |/ / / ---------------- \ \ \| |-----------------------------------|

^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^ Riftsawn stock can be ripped from these regions.

-- Regards, Doug Miller

For a copy of my TrollFilter for NewsProxy/Nfilter, email me at filterinfo-at-milmac-dot-com

Reply to
Doug Miller

A couple of explanations:

I'm **assuming** that the price of riftsawn is between flat a quartersawn. Correct

Usually if they allow sorting and repiling

Yes you can. Someone already posted a method in this thread.

Reply to
Mo' Sawdust

MacBeaths has riftsawn white oak separate from the flat and quarter. Price is real close to quarter, but at least you don't have to dig through to find it. I don't know if that does you much good unless there's one in your area.

HTH

Reply to
Bestest Handsander

"Bestest Handsander" wrote in news:A9ednYaP1MWz snipped-for-privacy@aros.net:

MacBeath's closest outlet to Denver is in Salt Lake City...

Patriarch

Reply to
patriarch