How stupid is google.

I had reported a couple of weeks back that google was automatically filling in my address as the wrong town. I also reported an address that it can't find.

Got two emails back telling me that they can do nothing about it. That there was too much conflicting info. Funny the town it thinks I am in, does not have a road with that name, so how can there be conflicting info.

The other one where they can't find it... get real, I was at that address.. too much conflicting info...

Google has gotten too big, and too useless.

It's like the govt. telling someone they are dead, and them saying I'm here, and them telling you , no your dead... There's no one listening anymore.

Reply to
woodchucker

woodchucker wrote in news:ko- dnaXNtepGD_bOnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@ptd.net:

[...]
[...]

Assumes without evidence that there ever *was* anyone listening at Google...

Reply to
Doug Miller

We had trouble with Google Maps on our corporate web site... the location shown on the map was off. It was in the right neighborhood but off by a couple hundred yards in seemingly random directions. After much go around we found out that there was a glitch in the software that was plotting the GPS coordinates incorrectly. It was eventually fixed as the patches cascaded out to all the affected servers. Since this situation presented a serious problem for our customers the company stuck with Google until the problem was resolved.

In one case I figured out that the address was on a very deep lot that included a large wetland. Google showed the address in the middle of the wetland, instead of on the street, as that was the geographic center of the lot.

Another problem I see regularly is that house numbers do not correspond to the lot numbers on many streets... My house is a good example of that: 45 for one and 16 for the other. Eventually the 911 clean up effort got the physical location shown on the map to match the house number. My parents house still shows up about 200 yards north of it's actual location due to this problem.

Another problem is when multiple "towns" share a ZIP Code. It is not uncommon for the first town in the database using that ZIP Code to be returned by the query tool... The better tools give you a pick list from which to choose the correct town when this situation exists.

It's all gotten better over time but still has a ways to go to reach 100% reliability!

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

The best of paper maps showed the street and nearest intersections. We've really come a long way.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I can attest to that one. Our zip code is split between two towns. The one we live in is the second in the list :-(.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

I've had some "interesting" experiences with paper maps over the years while on my long distance bicycle trips... street labels switched on the map so I ended up 10 miles out of my way at dusk. Large malls, cut off by fences, where streets formerly ran. Bridges long closed to automobiles and then closed to all traffic... There is no "perfect" for this stuff...

I've learned to roll with it and consult multiple sources when there is lack of clarity: AAA maps, Adventure Cycling Association Maps, East Coast Greenway Maps, Google Maps app, Map My Ride app, and the Apple maps on my iPhone were all used on last summer's ride as I meandered up the coast from FL to NY.

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

Well this is actually getting worse. As my house used to be in the correct town. Now it thinks I am in a different town.

Also the HOME feature no longer works for me using chrome, or firefox. Using the classic maps, or the new maps.

I used to be able to type home in the directions and it would pick up my address, now HOME does not work, but if I type my address in, it changes it to HOME.

Go figure. Sorry it's not getting better, it's getting worse.

Reply to
woodchucker

Probably in kahoots with Rustoleum too :)

Reply to
dadiOH

woodchucker wrote in news:ko- dnaXNtepGD_bOnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@ptd.net:

The various mapping data providers tend to taint their datasets with a small amount of bogus data as a 'fingerprint' so they can look for evidence of it in any maps (or mapping data) published by others.

However its more likely they simply dont have the resources to check your information till the area is next due for remapping. If they simply accepted mapping corrections forom everyone unchecked, unscrupulous businesses could 'relocate' competitors, which would be a P.I.T.A for anyone trying to go to their physical location.

Reply to
Ian Malcolm

Ok, that sounds reasonable. Thanks.

But why did I go from being in one town correctly, to now being in another town?

This all happened with the rollout of their new maps. Along with other issues.

Reply to
woodchucker

Forgive me, but I find this bitching humorous.

Ten years ago the whole idea of looking at a computer to figure out how to get somewhere was non-existant for the masses. Now we whine when a tiny fraction of the information is incorrect.

Reply to
Frank Stutzman

When it first came out, Google Earth misspelled had my street name (which, IIRC, affected a few other services). I submitted a correction using their form, and within a year or two it was promptly corrected.

It wasn't directly for me--when Others type in your street name, you'd probably like it to show up!

Reply to
Bill

I bought my first GPS about 8 years ago. I later upgraded to a newer model at half the price with all of Europe included. I now have it built into my car. Just stop and think of the massive amount of information it has available, the technology to find a groups or satellites, how fast it can determine a route of your choosing with certain criteria. Absolutely incredible. If it was available years ago, Columbus would have taken a different route. Lewis and Clark would not have needed an Indian along with them and Magellan would have sailed through the Straights Of Garmin.

And we complain of a 200 foot location error.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

In that scenario it is more likely that those "Explorers" would have used Google Earth to do their exploring...

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

Woodpeckers came out with a lumber ruler. $59 one time item.

Or you can get a real lumber ruler for $39..

woodchucker

Woodpeckers came out with a lumber ruler. $59.99 one time item.

Or you can get a real lumber ruler for $39.99 ..

woodchucker

I run into this all the time at work. If there is information published, it had better be right. [*] Sometimes it's better to keep management in the dark. ;-)

[*] Just ran into this an hour ago. I have two schematics that are *supposed* to be the same. They aren't so after lunch I have to figure out which one is wrong. I've been here before and the manufacturer has published both pinouts but I don't remember which one is right.
Reply to
krw

I saw that thing and even the video. I was totally lost on how it would replace a tape measure. I still saw the need to measure the length of a board and some way to calculate BF when the thickness was anything other than 1".

Reply to
Leon

Watched the video, still need a measuring tape although he tried to fake it. Funny, he acted like you couldn't trust the lumber companies for measurements except when he was too lazy to pull out a "12 ft" board to show how to calc outside the bounds of his scale.

So what about a common 4x4x?

Or for free get an app. Here is a one for free for android.

They're available on Ipad, windows etc.

Reply to
OFWW

The funny thing is all the lumber yards here sell by linear foot. Even the rough stock, not surfaced. Wierd.

I go to sawyers and a mill, they calculate by board foot. The mill though will charge me for missing edges, the old man calculates that as full size. Sometimes 3"... I argue, I like when he's not there as the other guys will calc bd footage up to that point, then remeasure that section. They understand that in order to be a board foot it has to have wood there. The old guy figures I should pay for it even if its not there. :-(

Reply to
woodchucker