How much to charge for Crown Molding

Spot on my estimate too. I was thinking a solid 3/4th of a day.

I wonder if you will be able to do anything in those few hours of the day that are left.

If I though I could get away with it, I would go ahead and add travel time or something to get you up to the dollar amount you expect to make for a full day's work.

-- Jim in NC

Reply to
Morgans

They are doing a remodel partly on their own. They put up some walls [you can tell :-) ] and have done some tile work and other things. They contacted me after starting to hang one of the doors and probably decided they'd rather hire someone.

There are a lot of other small, "skilled" tasks that haven't been done. One of which is this section of crown. I can see all these other things and may suggest a package price or hourly rate for all of it. Part of me wants to do just this task and wait until they call for the next. Then the next. And then the next. I can certainly make more money that way and it may make them feel better that they aren't giving up on doing it themselves all at once. :-)

Reply to
-MIKE-

"-MIKE-" wrote There are a lot of other small, "skilled" tasks that haven't been done. One of which is this section of crown. I can see all these other things and may suggest a package price or hourly rate for all of it. Part of me wants to do just this task and wait until they call for the next. Then the next. And then the next. I can certainly make more money that way and it may make them feel better that they aren't giving up on doing it themselves all at once. :-)

*************************** Sounds like if they trust you, that you could negotiate a favorable hourly rate and work by the hour with the provision that when you come out it is for a 8 hour day minimum. When they have enough to do to take up a whole day, you give them the next days' labor.

-- Jim in NC

Reply to
Morgans

What a nice thing to say! Thanks!

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

FWIW, from a General Contractors viewpoint, and for this area when figuring estimated labor costs for crown installation for new construction or remodel, I currently use the following for a rough estimate in the planning stages, obviously depending upon type of molding (single, stacked, etc), wall/ceiling conditions, paint grade, stain grade, etc.:

$80 to $120/corner, or $6 to $9/lf

YMMV...

Robert is, as usual, spot on getting an accurate 'what to charge' price from the trim carpenters view point. Can't go wrong figuring all your time/overhead times your hourly/daily rate.

Reply to
Swingman

Thanks so much for the info. Just to clarify... your above numbers are labor only, correct? Not including material.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Yep, labor only. For a myriad of reasons it is always in the projects/budget's best interest to supply all material when building or remodeling using subcontractors.

Although on a small job I'll almost always do it myself, despite the fact that being a sub, on a project which you're also the GC, is not for the crippled, crazy, sick, lame or lazy...

... although here lately, at some point in every day, I'm pretty much all but the last, and even then. ;)

Reply to
Swingman

Hey Mike you might take a look at this to help install moldings.

Leon

That guy was pretty smoothe... Enjoyed the video. -Bill

Reply to
Bill

Wow! As a guy who works on his own 99.9% of the time, I'm VERY intrigued my that vac-clamp system. I also love how smooth that jig saw is for coping.

I hate you, now, for temping me so much. :-p

Reply to
-MIKE-

I liked it too. How hard could it be to teach the trick to your shop vac?

Reply to
Bill

On Wed, 10 Dec 2014 22:04:25 -0500, "Mike Marlow"

If you're interested in buying one, it's a coping foot that you add onto your jigsaw.

upscale

You have now answered the question that I had not thought to ask yet. :-)

Reply to
Leon

That's one of the great benefits of a group like this. That and the friends you make.

(Won't mention those humourless people that you'd like to drive over with a steamroller) :)

Reply to
upscale

Hater! ;~)

Reply to
Leon

'Tis a clever idea; no idea how pricey the green paint is on that particular adaptor if it's available at all as just the clamp.

It wouldn't be terribly difficult to fabricate a custom piece of a given size; the feature of that is the multiple sections to give the flexible sizing in one part.

Will admit hadn't thought of the vacuum clamping action that way, though...I may well do some experimenting as also the "one-man band" is rampant here as well.

I've rigged up all sorts of things on the barn re-furb to handle pieces like a comealong over a beam with a square hook for holding 14-16ft

1x12's that were the interior walls in the milking parlor area that were taken down while doing the sill replacement and wall stud cripples for areas that had rotted out from 80+ yr of accumulated ammonia damage from the waste trough running along the north wall...
Reply to
dpb

Didja hear about the upcoming Microsoft/Dyson merger? Microsoft's finally going to make something that doesn't suck!

Reply to
Dave Balderstone