How much door gap via season

Do doors ALWAYS stick in the winter when it is cold and dry? This is contrary to what I would have predicted. I think it would be the other way around. The wood of the door itself, with the grain pointing up/down I thought would shrink inwards, and the rough-out framing wouldn't move, because the grain, running side to side, would not be affected as much. But I have done doors before, and they seem to stick not when it would otherwise be expected.

The substance of answer to the above question is not necessary. However, I do need a practical solution to the following problem. I have 4 doors I have hung by myself into 2x4" rought out with mdf jambs. I thought I had given myself enough of a gap for expansion, etc. I am totally surprised, but after using bondo, shellac, primer, and now one of possibly two coats of oil paint I no longer have enough gap. I have to trim the edges of the doors. This I can do with a power sander as they are hanging and I can just swing them over to check for fit. But how much to sand, now that all I have left to think about is temp & humidity. There seems to be enough gap still on some corners, but it has disappeared at others. It is spring here in Toronto, and I can only guess at the peak of the dryness. But since I cannot reason what is going on, I have a hard time knowing what to do because my intuition and experience tell me completely opposite.

Reply to
bent

Dry doesn't stick. Wet sticks, shifting frames stick, loose screws in the hinges from dry wood contracting stick....

Reply to
George

An old carpenter's rule of thumb: a dime on the sides and a nickel on the top.

Commercial doors are thicker. The point of beginning is to bevel both the strike and hinge side of the door with a 3 to 5^ bevel. The door dimension on the wide face of the door should be about a quarter inch smaller than the jamb face to face dimension (wide face of door 35 3/4" in a 36" jamb). This is the tolerance and fit of steel and Formica clad doors hung in steel frames.

______________________________ Keep the whole world singing . . . . DanG (remove the sevens) snipped-for-privacy@7cox.net

Reply to
DanG

It has just turned spring, so its the end of the long dry winter. Also a curiosity, what I am after is what others have noticed w/r/t doors sticking: winter, or summer.

Then I can go ahead with these corners gone wonky based on whether I am tight or loose now. Good news is I can get the gap perfect. I'm capable if I know what I'm doing - I ain't gonna do it and have anyhting touching anywhere ever, ir I can (just).

Is there a problem with (oil) paint sticking? Maybe during a hot sticky summer. I've got the hinges set. But if I sandwich (pinch) the inner sides paint to paint tightly (zero or negative gap) am I in danger of the (oil) paint sticking ever?

Reply to
bent