How fast is braking on a circular saw?

Hello woodworkers, I just bought a Makita circular saw (5007FAK). It was the cheapest saw I found at home Depot with an electric brake. In my newbie mind, I expected the blade to stop very fast (sub 1 second, a couple or revolutions, or something like that). It actually takes over 2 seconds. What should be the typical time necessary for the blade to stop. With brake, and without? There was also a DeWalt saw with brake at the store, but it was about 70$ cdn more.

Thanks for any answer JC

Reply to
jcpmont

Why do you particularly need an electric brake ?

That's fast. If it stopped much faster, the torque would make it leap out of your hand. There's also a problem with heavy blades tending to unscrew if stopped rapidly, which is the root of the whole "no dado blades in Europe" issue.

The UK regs (which are applicable across Europe) are that is must stop in "a sufficiently short time", defined as under 10 seconds.

Some notes on this, particularly retrofitting braking to old machines, are at:

list (and whole site) is interesting reading.

Andy Dingley

That's fast enough. I've never used one with a brake, I don't think you really need one if you're safe. They're a recent thing in the last few years on smaller saws. My Skil HD77 has enough oomph to take off your hand, after the power's turned off.

GTO(John)

Reply to
GTO69RA4

You need to stop at an old lumber yard some day to watch and listen to that big old DeWalt radial arm saw. Once you push the off button you could come back tomorrow morning to finally see it coast to stop.

cheapest saw

actually

the

Reply to
DanG

LOL... the bearings must be going bad in that one..;~)

A piece of 2x4 is pushed into the side of the blade on the one where I buy wood. I takes about 5 seconds to stop with that method.

Reply to
Leon
  • Vote on answer
  • posted

That's plenty fast enough...the whole idea of the blade brake is just to make the saw safer to handle after the cut.....2 seconds as opposed to a blade gradually winding down lets you get on with your work faster, not having to worry about a still spinning blade catching your cord or worst still your fingers if careless....I find the electric brake a great indicator of the brushes or switch needing replacing as well...when the brake becomes intermittent or not working at all check first the brushes, if they are still good size & shape then suspect the switch.

Reply to
P©WÉ®T©©LMAN