How do you transfer a pattern to your wood

Reply to
Sprog

It looks like the 3 leading methods here are:

  1. Carbon paper and trace the design. With my shaky hands, not sure I want to use this method. I shake enough when I saw!
  2. Glue the pattern down with 3M77 or other rubber cement.
  3. Iron on from printed pattern.

Question: What do options 2 & 3 do to the wood. Does the glue absorb and stain? Does the iron "burn" the wood to a different color?

Thanks Pops

Reply to
Pops

Cut back on the coffee! :-)

SWMBO and our 12-yo son have done a fair amount of scroll saw work, *always* using 3M77 to hold the pattern to the wood. They use mostly native North American hardwoods, and some holly and purpleheart. AFAIK, they have *never* had any problems with the adhesive staining the wood. I suppose that might be a problem with some of the oily tropical woods, but that's just a guess.

I'm sure that you could burn wood with an iron if you left it in one place long enough, but I haven't had a problem with that. I use the "cotton" setting on the iron, and keep it moving around -- just like you would to avoid scorching a shirt. It doesn't take long at all. Note that it *does* take more pressure than you would use ironing a shirt, to transfer a pattern to a board.

Doug Miller
[...]

No, an iron does not. I ironed a few thin shavings (spruce and ivy) to make fancy bookmarks (first wetting the shavings with a plant mister, then ironing them flat and finally laminating them to keep them flat), and even on the hottest setting no discoloration was visible.

Reply to
Juergen Hannappel