Need Draw Knife, what brand

I need a draw knife for a project I am going to start. I need it for some

2x2 work so I don't need a large one. I don't have any knowledge of brands on the market an their quality. Can anyone give me a recommendation. I don't expect to use this very often so I don't want to buy top of the line.

thanks Craig Orput Cave Creek, AZ

Reply to
Pops

On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 05:09:23 GMT, "Pops" brought forth from the murky depths:

Take your choice: $5-10 on *b*y or

has several to choose from, starting at $34. I love their carver's draw knife. I even used it to knock off the corners of a couple handle blanks before turning them on the lathe. The handles are for my bow saur.

===================================================================== -=Everything in Moderation,=- NoteSHADES(tm) glare guards -=including moderation.=-

Larry Jaques

I really like my Veritas drawknife. It's smaller than some. I use it for carving paddles.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Daly

Pah !

That's what they all say. 8-)

A drawknife is still one of the quickest ways of removing lots of timber from an awkwardly shaped piece. Once you've got the knack of it, you'll find yourself using it more and more. It's also a hugely satisfying tool to use.

I don't much like Windsor chairs, but there are few things to compare with felling a tree and turning it into a chair within a week, all with hand tools.

Keep your eyes open, learn to sharpen, and turn/find some replacement handles.

They come in different sizes and curvatures, and with different angles on the handles. Handle style (straight, right angle, ball) is a personal choice, but having a range of sizes to hand is often helpful. Most people I know who use one drawnife find themselves starting to collect a set.

Old sales are great, eBay isn't bad, and some of the better modern vendors still list them. I find the modern French sort (ball handles) are good in the smaller sizes, but for a big one I like an old Sheffield one with handles at a right angle to the blade.

Other things you'll need with it are a drawknife sleeve to store it in, and some sort of bench / drawhorse to use it with.

I regard safe storage of a drawknife as essential. They're a huge great blade, they need to be sharp, and they're a bit of a hazard left unguarded. Make a wrapper of heavy canvas or (even better) vegetable tanned leather, held with a couple of press studs. Don't use chrome leather, as it causes rust.

A drawhorse is the best way to use a drawknife (a low bench, you sit along one end and there's a foot-operated clamp at the other). Whatever you use though needs to be low down and used from a sitting position. I've seen all sorts of odd vices screwed roughly to a length of timber and held down by your feet. Even a tree stump and a loop of rope can work

You can use a drawknife on a piece of timber held in a bench vice. But it's frequently awkward, as it's too high up and you're working from one side of it. You really do want to get yourself along the axis and be working straight-on to the timber.

You may also like to wear a smooth, heavy jacket, just to guard against shavings down your decolletage and the occasional slip where the timber jumps out of the clamp and thumps you.

Andy Dingley

Reply to
Bob Bowles

Pay no heed folks. Nothin' to see here. Just another shout from the LairE who cries bowsaur.

Say, Larry... you got the parts to that bowsaur aimed at anyone in partikular at the event of your untimely demise? If not, I'd be mighty appreciative and I'll make you a promise to put the parts in a box, look at the contents every 6-12 months, and proclaim to the group that it's nearing completion.

Reply to
Fly-by-Night CC

On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 08:51:09 -0800, Fly-by-Night CC brought forth from the murky depths:

Mightywhiteo'ya, Owie. I'll do just that. You're now in my will.

-------------------------------------------------- I survived the D.C. Blizzard of 2003 (from Oregon) ----------------------------

Comprehensive Website Development

Larry Jaques

Yeah well, I ams who I ams - and you should prolly watch yer back from now on...

Reply to
Fly-by-Night CC

You don't want to pull the draw knife too far back. That's what happened to my half brother.

M.

Reply to
Michael

Reply to
Lawrence A. Ramsey

Reply to
Lawrence A. Ramsey

On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 14:38:28 -0800, Fly-by-Night CC brought forth from the murky depths:

As IF someone would kill for that "kit".