How do you organize your shop?

And the stupid clips come off the board with the tool. Yeah, pegboard is just not what it's cracked up to be.

Anyway, the trouble with organizing a shop is that it's a never-ending process of figuring out a way to squeeze in more tools, more supplies, and more scraps.

Reply to
Silvan

Please explain the word, "retentive."

Reply to
Bob Schmall

Use heavy duty peg board and heavy duty pegs. They stay in place and they hold a lot of weight. I got a bucket full of assorted pegs from a local hardware store when they were changing over their display stuff and I don't live with any problems from them coming off the board when I don't want.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

There are little plastic clips that hold down peg hooks that span at least two holes vertically(including the hole for the peg itslef). You cannot put two hooks directly adjacent to each other, however you can put the ends of the clips in the same hole, so a one hole space between hooks is possible. They come in some of the kits at the borgs, and im sure they also come seperately. The individual hooks are the ones i have the trouble with, the rail types, and the double rail types usually stay in by themselves... anyhoo... Jesse M

Reply to
ThJester99

Reply to
eganders

Reply to
eganders

How about a hot melt glue gun to keep those pesky hooks secure?

- Doug

Reply to
Doug Winterburn

On Tue 28 Dec 2004 10:11:39p, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (ThJester99) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mb-m19.aol.com:

Yeah, you can buy them by the box. Can't remember where I got 'em. One of the borgs, or Dorn or Ace. They really do make those hooks stay put.

Reply to
Dan

On Tue 28 Dec 2004 10:32:58p, Doug Winterburn wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com:

Well, every now and then I get a new tool and have to rearrange the pegs a little...

Reply to
Dan

I've been working on it for three days now, and I still have 2/3 of my workbench covered. At least I can see almost all of the floor now. I had stuff piled up all over the place around things I hadn't used in awhile.

LOL! I'm there. I've got every plane iron and chisel in the place laid out with all my sharpening stuff. Gonna do a Sharpen Fest tomorrow or the day after or whenever I steal enough time away from the hospital or my wife gets home, whichever comes first.

Reply to
Silvan

Clean it up? Walk? I thought this was an English language newsgroup, but I don't understand those words either.

It's not like they have any electrical components or bigass magnets in them. Should be just fine.

Reply to
Silvan

That's what's OK with the hot melt - just stick the tip of the gun on the old glue and soften it up to make changes.

- Doug

Reply to
Doug Winterburn

Drawers with labels and shelves. Start with a mechanics tool chest and work from there. Peg board is minimal in my shop.

Reply to
Wayne K.

Phil wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@msn.com:

I hang my bar clamps vertically from a rack that's got custom slots for the purpose (I think the idea came from ShopNotes or some such). The F-style clamps just hang in sets of 4-5 on 6" long dowels that form another rack. My pipe clamps are rarely used, but are stowed horizontally along the bottom of the angle brackets that hold up my lumber. The clamp storage works well.

The chisels and small squares hang on a magnetic rack, the backsaws rest on their back spines on pegs in pegboard, and the larger or closed handled saws are hung by their handles on pegs.

My handplanes rest in the large drawer of a rolling toolchest I have near the workbench. Same with the cordless drill, screwdrivers, ROS, sandpaper.

I have a few boards of spalted maple that are looking for a use, and I think that shortly I'll build a foldout wall cabinet to hold the handtools.

Reply to
Nate Perkins

That's actually worth a try. Now has anyone seen my glue gun? I haven't seen it since the '90s.

Reply to
Silvan

I should try that.

See, that's the thing. Horizontal space is a problem in my shop, there's not enough of it, and what's there is full of stuff.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

I'm feeling better about this all the time. Although, I think we're just ...what's the term... enabling each other to continue to not clean the shop up, but I'm not sure that can be helped.

Yeah, because what could possibly go wrong? Actually, I've got about 3 monitors in the shop that are "too good to throw out, to fuzzy to use", that I really, really should just get rid of. But, where do you get rid of a monitor these days? I'd rather not just dumpster them, y'know? All that (a) good scrap material, and (b) hazardous chemicals.

Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Dave Hinz wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@individual.net:

In our, admittedly California, town, they are to be recycled. Usually, there is a fee ($10), but, that having proved counterproductive(*), they often have 'free days', when CRTs, televisions, computers and the like can be dropped off at no charge.

One of my sons generally wants to scavenge something from my dead machines, and it becomes his problem, until an amnesty day. But no land fill.

Patriarch

  • stuff shows up tossed where stuff shouldn't be
Reply to
Patriarch

There's a recycling company in Madison Wis that takes old computer gear from the public twice a year (the rest of the time they only want corporate stuff that comes in on pallets). $5 charge for monitors and laptops (limit 2). I've dumped a bunch of "stuff that's too big to store" with them over the last few years.

There must be similar operations in other cities. A web search for something like "computer recycling" and the name of the nearest big city might turn something up.

Reply to
Ron Bean

My 2 bits....Dan J

Reply to