How do I cut a 6" circle out?

I am making a dog dish holder, and need to cut some 6" holes out for the dishes. I have tried a jigsaw and hope to find a better method; I didn't get the line quite perfectly. Well, not even close, actually.

I need to cut a few, so spending a few dollars is not objectionable. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I mean, other recommending that I get better with a jigsaw.

Reply to
Toller

How about something like this:

Jigsaw circle cutting guild:

" holesaw:
circle jig:

Jack

Router with trammel base. Easily made, plans all over the net.

Reply to
CW

A plunge router, an upcut siral bit, and a circle cutting jig.

Reply to
Charley

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

Well, I have a drill press but not a plunge router, so that might be a solution. I am a bit concerned with just one cutter; seems like it would be unbalanced. That is not a problem?

Actually I have one like it with two cutters, but it will only do about 5". I could remove one cutter and move the arm over an inch. I thought being unbalanced would be a killer, but will try it. Thanks.

Reply to
Toller

If you have a drill press with an appropriate low speed, there are fly cutters available that can do this. Some of these things claim to be useable in hand drills and probably are, but I have doubts about how neat a hole it would be possible to cut in a hand-held drill.

?action=prdupc&prid=53&sectionid=2

Reply to
Larry

A single cutter works fine. I hope you have a full size drill press. Run it as slow as it will go. Clamp the workpiece securely (holding by hand is HIGHLY not recommended). Also, use a backer board so the pilot is solidly in something when the center piece is cut loose.

Reply to
CW

I was crazy the last time I went looking for one at the hardware store.

Reply to
Prometheus

You need a left handed circle cutting saw. Jus kidding. I use my bandsaw with it's circle cutting jig.

Jon

Reply to
Jon

I would use a router and a straight cutting bit. It does not need to be a plunge router, a standard base router can be set into a drilled hole, or can be angled into a workpiece just fine. Use a base template that is equal to the radius and put a pin in the center of the "hole". I do this all of the time with everything from ceiling tiles to plywood when mounting speakers. Works like a top and is nothing but simple. Like everything else, these things can be over-complicated.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@j27g2000cwj.googlegroups.com...

Reply to