Homeowner insurance and tools

I had a meeting with my insurance agent the other day for reviewing my homeowner insurance policy. I was informed under the policy, tools are insured in the home or in my truck but not in any of the rentals. He also indicated addition coverage for tools would be costly and is also why contractors don't have tool coverage either. Wonder if I could get reasonable additional coverage elsewhere for landlords?

Reply to
# Fred #

If you use the tools at all for repair for tenants, then technically, they're tools for business purposes and likely covered under the same or similar policy that a contractor would use.

Reply to
Upscale

I could see this point which is the same as my insurance but IRS consider rentals as an investment as Schedule C is not permitted.

Reply to
# Fred #

That doesn't sound quite right. Since however that is the advice you have been provided, know that the IRS does consider a maintenance company to be a business. Set up a separate business entity and have that provide maintenance services to your rental properties.

AMW

Reply to
A.M. Wood

Right on.

There is a lot of great reasons to do as AM writes...

Reply to
B A R R Y

I am not from Compton.

Sorry...

Reply to
B A R R Y

The property is an investment, and if you rent it out it is also part of a business.

Reply to
Leon