renting trucks from uhaul - do any of purchase the optional insurance?

A few times a year I rent a truck from uhaul to remove large items from my house or when I need to transport something large. They charge $15 a day for minimum insurance (covers the truck only), $30 a day covers truck and damage to other property. I am just wondering how many people pay the extra $$ for insurance when renting trucks from u-haul (not for long distance moves, just 1- day use).

Reply to
techman41973

Sometimes your car insurance will cover a rental car. If it doesn't, it is best to buy one-day insurance. It is way overpriced at rental places.

Reply to
Phisherman

I never purchase uhaul or car rental optional insurance.Never had a problem in 50 years.

Reply to
Blattus Slafaly

I never purchase any additional insurance. The people who own the vehicle have it insured. To charge that to the renter is just a scam.

S. Barker

The most important thing is to check with your regular insurance company to make sure you are covered. Most of the better insurance companies will insure anything you drive on a temporary basis like that.

Reply to
Jack Bauer

If you have car insurance, check the policy to see if you're covered for your liability while driving a rental vehicle.

If not, then if you hit someone or hit property, they can go after you. I imagine they would sue both you and the truck rental company - to hit you with a judgement, and get something from the truck rental company if the judgement is not satisfied by bankrupting you.

I get the optional insurance. I am not the best truck driver in the world, due to not having much experience driving them, and often driving them at more stressful times (moving).

If I end up making a klutzy maneuver with the truck, I would prefer to not have my car insurance company being asked to pay for the damage and the lawyers. If my insurance company pays a claim for a "chargeable accident", my premium payment goes up substantially for 3 years.

Don Klipstein

Try hitting someone or something without the optional insurance, and see who the lawyers go after! (No, better NOT!!!)

(Fortunately, I have yet to be in that boat!)

Why do personal car insurance policies often cover driving rental vehicles? I suspect there is a need!

If you have personal car insurance, and they cover your use of a rental vehicle, and you don't mind putting them on the hook if you bungle driving the truck, then go ahead and decline the optional insurance!

Don Klipstein

As noted, check with your car insurance and even you home/apartment insurance. You may already be covered. No need to pay twice.

Another common source is a credit card. Many credit cards will cover a rental car, that does not mean it includes trucks, but it may well cover them as well, check. The car rental people make a lot of money on those add ons.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Reply to
Doug Brown

Be careful renting a truck with your insurance. You *may* not be covered. Check with your insurance company.

Reply to
krw

Mine covers me for whatever I'm driving.

Obviously the right here for the OP.

Reply to
krw

"Doug Brown" wrote in news:zfidnUW4ZKklDGzanZ2dnUVZ_hCdnZ2d@sasktel:

This seems to be the case for states that are behind the times.

Reply to
Mr.Spock

Personal auto policies often have a gross vehicle weight limit for covered vehicles. My own covers smaller U-Haul-style rentals, but not full-sized U-Haul trucks.

Reply to
<josh

  1. I don&#39;t see a gross vehicle registered weight limit in my policy.
  2. Check out the registered gross vehicle weights of various rental trucks. My experience is that smaller to moderate U-Haul trucks are what I would call "fluffy". See how many of those are within whatever weight limit your policy specifies.
  3. My experience in PA is that the usual driver&#39;s license to drive cars also allows such licensed drivers to drive trucks up to 29,000 pounds or something like that, provided this weight does not include a trailer more than 10,000 pounds. IIRC, that PA license also allows Pennsylvanian drivers to drive street-legal motorbikes up to 7 horsepower. I suspect it is at least a little common to have your insurance cover your driving a covered rental vehicle that is in the same license classification as "your covered auto".

Furniture is mostly air by volume, even if stuffed with pillows or clothes. A truck filled with furniture and clothes and intended to mainly carry such lighter-fluffier loads will weigh a lot less than one filled with and intended to transport wholesale paper, wholesale foods, building materials, cabinet kits in knocked-down-flat form, compacted trash or liquids.

Don Klipstein

According to my insurance agent, the policy follows me, not the vehicle. So, whatever I am driving is covered.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

ote:

Yes, exactly. To say that because the rental company has insurance means that the renter doesn&#39;t need any is very bad advice. If you hit someone with a rental vehicle and it&#39;s your fault, the other party is going to come after YOU for the cost of their damage and injuries. And the rental company and/or their insurance company is going to come after YOU for the cost of repairs to the rental vehicle.

Even in a private party arrangement, if I lend my car to someone and they damage it, I have every right to make that party pay for the repairs even if I have collision insurance that would cover it. The concept here is simple. You lend something to someone for them to use and they are bound to return it in the same condition it was when they took it.

I&#39;m not saying the insurance offered by rental companies is a good deal. In many cases, either your own auto policy or free insurance provided by some credit card companies when you use their card, may be sufficient, depending on your circumstances, etc. But you better understand your liability and what insurance coverage you have/need. And as pointed out, I&#39;d pay particular attention to what any existing insurance says about trucks, gross weight, etc.

Reply to
trader4

I would bet that statement is untrue. For example, I highly doubt that collision coverage on a 5 year old economy Hyundai is going to pay for the cost of a totalled rental Lincoln Navigator.

Reply to
trader4

what if you don&#39;t own a car and thusly wouldn&#39;t have any car insurance??? do tell....

S. Barker

You insure the car, not the driver. Better read it closer.

S. Barker

Then you better take the optional insurance offered by the rental company, or face the prospect of being liabel for not only the value of the rental car, but also the cost of damage to other cars, property, medical bills, etc.

What&#39;s so hard to understand?

Reply to
trader4