Homemade rip fence for homemade table saw...

Hello All,

I am currently making myself a new table saw as the one I have been using (a Triton saw adapter sold here in Australia) just wasn't flexible enough. The new one utilizing a 2.25 hp induction motor and a tool head fitted with a 10 inch blade is half finished, complete with homemade tilt and drop mechanism. My big issue is to find a homemade scenario for the rip fence. Not that I am against the fine commercial fences available......it's just that I am trying to sneak the whole job under the radar of my wife. She who must be obeyed bought me a new compound mitre saw a few months back and doesn't understand that there are different saws for different purposes. (and my current runnug battle to get a bandsaw for my birthday when she wants to bbuy me clothes!!!)

So I am going totally shop made for the entire project and I am having a hard time finding something suitable, so I hope all of you enthusiasts out there in the ether can help me with an idea, plans preferrably with pics, or suggestions to a website.

I am quite adept at welding, so if it's a steel based option, that's fine too.

I do enjoy this NG and hope you can help.

Scott Rollo,

Sydney Australia.

P.S. Don't grind and cut metal in the direction of sawdust covered buffing wheels - it leads to smoldering, then flaming buffing wheels...

But you probably all knew this...thank god for smoke detectors!!!

Reply to
Scott Rollo

I AM NOT PARANOID .. .. .. but EVERYONE thinks I am !! !! !!

Reply to
Anonymous

available......it's

Reply to
Wilson Lamb

WOOD magazine had a book out some time backtitled "Woodworking Tools You Can Make" or something like that. It had plans for a rip fence that I adapted for my Taiwanese table saw. Works great.

If it's out of print, try one of the used book listings like ABE.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

and why drive to the store for butter, when you can churn your own just as easily? Buy a few cows, chickens, the neighbors won't mind...

generate your own 'lectricity too, I bet! screw the power company. Being on the grid is for wimps!

Yeah, you GO, Bob!

dave

wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

Reply to
Ramsey

Right on Dave! The audacity of that Ozzie and Bob too! Talking about actually designing and building something yourself instead of going out and buying it like Joe Consumer.

And doing it in rec.woodworking! What a strange place to talk about building something related to woodworking. What is with people these days?

Rico

Bay Area Dave wrote:

Reply to
Rico

Beisemeyer is a good and simple design, which I agree can be copied, and I do like the simple cam-lock mechanism, but if I may be OT slightly here, we use them on large bandsaws and table saws, and they do not hold up under constant industrial use. The cam-lock wears, well, actually, the way bar (box channel) wears and the cam will not lock. Now you can either shim the cam-lock with a scrap, re-line it in the repair shop, or replace the way slide. This may not be a problem in a hobby-grade application.

Reply to
RM MS

Learn how to quote so people will have some idea what you are talking about.

Reply to
Rico

Here are two links I think may help you. Try a google search as well, it may turn up some more.

fence is easy, if you've managed to build your own tilting arbor tablesaw already it should be a piece of cake.

Scott Goodyear

Reply to
Scott Goodyear