Home-made air cleaner remake

Years ago I made an air cleaner from scrap wood, a furnace blower, variable speed switch, and some 18x24" furnace-type filters. The plans came from the web, and I apologize for not remembering the author. The electric motor died recently - aw, shucks. I tried finding a replacement blower motor, but nothing seemed available locally, and Ebay sellers wanted too much for a blower (PLUS the SHIPPING!!! It would have been $125 at least).

Googling around I found what looked like an affordable blower, generally to be used as a carpet drier fan. It is supposed to be available at Home Depot or Lowes. HD accepted my on-line order for pickup. I thought I was set, but the order was cancelled an hour later, no reason given. I then ordered from Amazon a "Lasko Pro Performance Blower Fan #4900" for $60, more than the HD price, but available for speedy delivery.

My home-made box has open sides with rabbeted slide-in filter holders. The whole thing was made for the furnace blower but is now just slightly too narrow. The filters barely fit on one side, and not quite on the other. The total dimensions of my box are 25x15x19" L/W/H. Obviously (see photos), the box could have been shorter and lower, but this is what I have, and using my existing supply of furnace filters is a plus. The extra rectangular opening above the blower outlet was for the electric box with the variable speed switch, now not necessary, because the fan has off, and 3 speed settings. Plus this thing has extra outlets ... Obviously the disadvantage of the current setup is that the switch and outlets are covered up by the filters on that side. Have to find a solution for that. I hope this link does go to the 5 photos ...

Han

My brother in law made an air cleaner very similar to yours about 35 - 40 y= ears ago. This was years before most of us home-shop folks even dreamed of= having the kind of equipment available from Jet and others. It did a good= job of keeping his basement wood shop cleaner than most.

He passed this spring and his son has now installed it in his garage shop.

RonB

Reply to
RonB

On a side note, I noticed your fire extinguisher in the pics....

For those of you who don't have fire extinguishers and would like one or so= me, you might check with your local extinguisher serviceman/service center.= Old extinguishers, I've discovered, that don't meet code for many applica= tions, are often discarded. For utility or shop use, there is often no cod= e or less strict codes and these extinguishers are suitable and available f= or little $$$ or free, depends on the service center and/or the extinguishe= r. The only cost would be to have it refilled/re-activated. In some place= s, I suppose, having a fire extinguisher might reduce an insurance premium,= too.

The local service center, here, is giving me several extinguishers, for the= shop, for free, but after chatting, I offered to make the owner a bistro t= able, for his patio, in exchange.

It doesn't hurt to ask.

Sonny

Reply to
cedarsonny

They're 15 bucks.

Reply to
-MIKE-

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Fire extinguisher is near the furnace and hot water heater, on the other side of the basement as the stairs ...

Reply to
Han

Han! Hey Han! What in the world do you have a hot water heater for?????

On a second note, if the furnace or "water heater" were to need a fire extinguisher I think I would want the extinguisher to not be near the source of the fire.

Reply to
Leon

Leon wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Made me think ... LOL!

The washer and dryer are beyond the gas-fired appliances in the basement, furthest from the stairs. If there ever is a fire in the basement, I'd want the extinguishers near if I have to get past the fire, on my way to the stairs. Hope to never have to use it ... Probably should get a replacement anyway.

Reply to
Han

You could make an extension to fit in between.

A couple suggestions to increase efficiency:

1) Place a plastic electrostatic filter behind the furnace filter - 2) Spray the furnace filter with Endust ....
Reply to
joeljcarver

" snipped-for-privacy@aol.com" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@b8g2000yqh.googlegroups.com:

Thanks for the suggestions! In the past, the filters worked well, and got caked with dust pretty fast. I anticipate the filters will need changing relatively often ...

Reply to
Han

Fasten a lever on the switch with small sheet metal screws then use a rod that sticks out the side of the unit. You could get fancy so the rod moves another rotary switch on the outside, too.

Reply to
Morgans

"Morgans" wrote in news:k53huc$h5k$ snipped-for-privacy@speranza.aioe.org:

There are 2 competing things - access to the switch (and perhaps the outlets next to it), and a more or less airtight hold on the filters covering that area. If I were an electrician I could figure out how to wire the variable speed switch I have from before to feed power to the fan. But then, perhaps that was what eventually killed the electric motor in the old setup. I had the fan go at the lowest speed most of the time, for long periods.

Reply to
Han

Actually probably a good idea for your exit strategy, I was thinking of fighting the fire from the stairs. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

some, you might check with your local extinguisher serviceman/service cente= r. Old extinguishers, I've discovered, that don't meet code for many appli= cations, are often discarded. For utility or shop use, there is often no c= ode or less strict codes and these extinguishers are suitable and available= for little $$$ or free, depends on the service center and/or the extinguis= her. The only cost would be to have it refilled/re-activated. In some pla= ces, I suppose, having a fire extinguisher might reduce an insurance premiu= m, too.

he shop, for free, but after chatting, I offered to make the owner a bistro= table, for his patio, in exchange.

Doesn't hurt to check local fire departments too. A few years ago our rura= l fire department received a grant to provide fire extinguishers and smoke = detectors for local residents. A lot of us received one each for basically= signing a voucher for their records.

I have two in the shop. One near the entrance door to the house so it is c= lose to the kitchen too. The second on the opposite side of the garage sho= p.

RonB

Reply to
RonB

Electric motors are expensive....

What not buy the real thing for $125

Pat Barber

"Mike Marlow" wrote in news:5acca$507591b5$4b75eb81$ snipped-for-privacy@ALLTEL.NET:

When the smoke detector goes off, then you know it's done. *g*

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

He bought it online at Lowes, they think they are hot water heaters too. :)

basilisk

Reply to
basilisk

Fire Extinguishers. One is right outside of the garage entrance with the door closed.

Reply to
RonB

"Mike Marlow" wrote in news:7d74d$50759186 $4b75eb81$ snipped-for-privacy@ALLTEL.NET:

She comes with the band-aids ...

Reply to
Han

"Mike Marlow" wrote in news:7a81a$5075915f$4b75eb81$ snipped-for-privacy@ALLTEL.NET:

:)

Reply to
Han

Furnace blowers can be had cheap or free, and I regularly see 1750 RPM motors in working condition at yard sales for $5-$10.

djb

Reply to
Dave Balderstone