High effciency motors

If someone you care about ends up dead as a result of this, get back to us on how excusable GM's incompetence is.

Why are you defending them, anyway, is it a knee-jerk reaction of a former employee or something?

Reply to
J. Clarke

As I heard it, a fix was implemented, but the documentation of the fix was never filed: a mix of good and bad parts were in stock, with no stock-number difference. So, your switch MIGHT be just fine.

Ford investigated the switch thoroughly by taking an example from the (new, good-design) stock, and cleared it. That's why it took so long; a used-part example in bad-design had to be located and identified.

Reply to
whit3rd

As I heard it, a fix was implemented, but the documentation of the fix was never filed: a mix of good and bad parts were in stock, with no stock-number difference. So, your switch MIGHT be just fine.

GM investigated the switch problem initially by taking an example from the (new, good-design) stock, and cleared it. That's why the problem lingered; a used-part example of bad-design type had to be located and identified.

Reply to
whit3rd

-------------------------------------------------------- Have a model number, price and availability?

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

5K922, 363.50, if ordered now expected to arrive August 4.
Reply to
J. Clarke

------------------------------------------------------------ Grainger description:

General Purpose Motor1 HPCapacitor-Start, 1725 Nameplate RPM, Voltage 115/208-230, Frame 56

----------------------------------------------------------- Capacitor-Start is not split phase.

Nice try but no cigar.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Yes, Cigar, Lew. The trouble is you wouldn't know a cigar if it beat you over the head with a titanium cluebat.

Do you _try_ to annoy people with this kind of pretend-ignorance?

Reply to
J. Clarke

Lew has been told this over and over again and he insists on swimming with the crocodiles.

Reply to
J. Clarke

We just received the recall notice on our Mustang. It's already had its airbags replaced (big oops!) but they said that they were most likely replaced with the same, faulty, parts. It'll be six months before they get the parts.

Reply to
krw

A capacitor-start motor most certainly is a split-phase motor but the reverse is not necessarily true. That's exactly what the capacitor is for (to split the phases). The phase split can be done with resistance or capacitance.

You're wrong.

Reply to
krw

-------------------------------------------------- "J. Clarke" wrote:

------------------------------------------------ You can start with a split-phase design and then add a capicator BUT you no longer have a split phase motor, you have a capacitor start motor.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Yep, I figured you were making some inane quibble over nomenclature. If you fancy yourself an engineer, don't quit your day job.

Reply to
J. Clarke

I'm not defending them at all. I'm just saying that of all the accidents that have been blamed on the ignition switch many turn out to not be related to the switch. I assure you many many more people have had accidents that were not caused by the switch however that does not prevent an attorney from going after every hint of an accident. I am clueless of how many are actually caused by the switch compared to how many had nothing to do with the switch but I would bet you the later overwhelms the former. You are simply buying into the hype. I personally dealt with a lot of these type cases for most of the 80's. Every time there was an accident after a publicized recall, attorneys, insurance companies, and factory reps had to inspect the vehicle before any repairs were made by our dealership. Very seldom did that amount to anything other than the insurance company paying for the repair.

Reply to
Leon

HUH, but you were the one whining about the air bags not working if the ignition switch turns off. Air bag problems are not unique to an ignition switch problem.

Reply to
Leon

What are you on about? I never said anything about quantity of accidents. If ONE person gets dead as that result of this piece of shit it's TOO DAMNED MANY.

You're starting to sound like the guy at Ford who figured that not enough people would get killed when Pintos blew up for it to be worth fixing the design.

Reply to
J. Clarke

No, but they are part of the reason that it's a problem.

Reply to
J. Clarke

So the conversation drifts a bit and you get your panties all in a bunch?

Reply to
Markem

Or could be a problem. This does not affect every switch, this is a precautionary safety recall to replace the switch whether it is defective or not.

Reply to
Leon

Then I advise you to stop driving any vehicle from this point on and stay in doors. There is hardly a vehicle out there that does not have the potential to have an accident for one reason or another.

Before you know it there will be recalls on crash avoidance systems, lane change systems, and back up cameras because the drivers ignored the warnings.

Reply to
Leon

Please, PLEASE buy a Pinto and remove the brake lights.

Reply to
J. Clarke