HF 12" SCMS

The recent discussion about the Harbor Freight double bevel SCMS made me go take a look at it. I've got a couple of questions I hope someone here can answer for me.

The website specifies a part number of 69684. The ad for the sidewalk sale gives two numbers, 69684 and 98194. Is one of these the older model? If so, which one?

I went to HF and looked at one this morning. Maximum depth from back of slide to front of handle is about 44". I've got a small shop. If I mount the saw on a 30" cabinet, the handle will stick out into space over a foot. As clumsy as I am that's an accident waiting to happen. I couldn't measure the front to back depth with the table turned to 45 degrees because there wasn't enough space around it at the store. Would someone who has one please let me know what that measurement is?

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

98194 is the older, single bevel model:

Dual bevel 69684:

Spalted Walt

Walt, Larry is right on the ages.

I have a 69684 and it measures under 40" front to back. I'm not working to 64ths of an inch, so I'm quite happy with it. To increase my precision with it, I'm entertaining the idea of using a smaller diameter spring on it. That thing's a -bear- to pivot down into a piece of wood. I'm happy to have saved $300-400 on that purchase. If I had the choice between the HF and a Bosch as a gift, I'd surely choose the Bosch, but I have to pinch pennies. Be sure to break it in slowly. Run it for several minutes before you cut anything to let the brushes seat. (True for all HF motors.)

I'm also happy with my purchase of a Makita plunge saw vs a Festool. The more I use it, the more I like it & the more uses I find for it.

Reply to
Larry Jaques