Help with finish on a guitar!

Some actually are.

Others have been made from lexan or aluminum.

Reply to
B A R R Y

some are even made of clear acrylic. crazy what people use nowadays.

Reply to
David Dugas

If you look at Les Pauls first experiment it wasn't anything more than a large board. As a matter of fact he called it a railroad tie. It's the pickup and the amplifier controls that gives the sound on a solid body guitar. As a result you could make it out of anything.

Snookie

Reply to
Snookie

fredfighter

you guys rock! just bein all helpful with your suggestions! anyways... has anyone used winwax wipe on poly? or the polycrylic, or water based polyurethanes? i'm debating even getting the poly for floors. also general finishes makes a gel poly that is supposedly one of the hardest curing and clearest finishes on the market... any thoughts?

Reply to
David Dugas

I used the Minwax high-gloss wipe-on Poly on a Tele that I built last year. Got impatient with it, and finished the job with the Minwax high-gloss poly that comes in a spray can. The result was very good--the gloss is so shiny it almost looks wet. No buffing or polishing was required. But I level-sanded with 320, 400, and 600 before I put on the last two coats. You have to be very careful to avoid runs, though. I did two thin coats about 2 hours apart, IIRC.

--Steve

Reply to
Steve

As a guitar player I know enough to say (DON'T TRY IT YOURSELF) without a LOT of research

Ask this same question in RMMGA

rec.music.makers.guitar.acoustic PLEASE a lot of luthiers are on that list (as am I)

Jerry

Reply to
Jerome Ranch