Help: Shellac/Lacquer Sticks

A while back someone in the ng recommended using shellac/lacquer sticks to repair small cracks in the seats of some cherry dining chairs that I'm refinishing.

Here's where I am at:

I just received three shades of shellac/lacquer sticks from Lee Valley. The chairs are stripped and will be finished with a linseed oil wiping varnish.

First question: do I match the shade of the sticks to the unfinished or finished color of the wood (i.e., will the sticks change color once the finish is applied)?

Second question: how do I blend the sticks to get the proper shade? Should I break off small chips, melt them, and mix together until I match the shade of the cherry wood?

Third question: how do I melt the sticks? Should I use a small metal bowl and a propane torch, a shellac knife and an alcohol burner, etc.?

All suggestions are appreciated.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Go here;

a search for "shellac sticks" and "lacquer sticks". You'll find plenty of info.

Stewart

Reply to
Stewart Schooley

Reply to