Lacquer-finished furniture

I may be in the wrong group to be asking this - but I'll give it a try.

I have a really nice bedroom dresser that has an almond colored lacquer finish. I would like to refinish and paint the dresser white.

Has anyone stripped down lacquer-finished furniture? Is it no different than refinishing any other furniture piece? The reason I am concerned is because the lacquer looks very thick and practically indestructible. I hate to get started without having a general idea of what I'm getting into.

Any warnings or suggestions?

Thanks in advance, Flats

Reply to
Flats

I'd rough it up with sandpaper, prime and paint. I think I know the finish you're describing, it looks atrocious.

Reply to
roger61611

Are you sure it is lacquer? I've seen furniture with a thick coating of some sort of poly material and that would not be easily removed. If it is lacquer, put a dab of acetone or lacquer thinner in an inconspicuous place. It will dissolve easily if lacquer, not at all of something else.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

you're describing, it looks atrocious.

I agree. Unless the current finish is bubbling or chipping, just sand it lightly and paint right over it. Good luck, Andy

Reply to
andynewhouse

Make sure it isn't particle board with printed grain before you start stripping it :o)

Reply to
Norminn

I spent a couple years refinishing pianos when I was younger.

If the existing finish is indeed lacquer, it comes off easily with ordinary paint stripper. Follow the directions on the can. After getting the majority of the finish off, scrub the wood with coarse steel wool (like a pot scrubber) soaked in lacquer thinner to get all the old finish out of the grain, crevices, etc. Then rinse with cotton rags soaked in clean lacquer thinner. Let dry, sand, fill, prime, repaint. It'll look gorgeous.

Wear heavy-duty rubber gloves and a rubber or vinyl apron. Work outside or in a well-ventilated area away from open flame. Dispose of your waste properly.

-Frank

Reply to
Frank Warner