Help picking rails for dresser draws

Hi all:

This is my first dresser project. Face frame with inset doors I am building the drawers first. My boxes are 36" wide x 23" deep, dovetailed construction. I have to add a 3/4" face to this depth also. I have not glued them up, so I can shorten them up if nessary. I am looking at the Blum specs for the slidesI would like full extension, like the 430E6000 Any thoughts oh great dust makers

Reply to
<tdevery>

Accuride's nice, too. Good luck. Tom

Reply to
tom

I am not set any any one brand.

Reply to
<tdevery>

Do you even need hardware? Tom

Reply to
tom

I could do the wood runner thing, but this is practice for future Kitchn cabinets. Not my first project, but proubly the most exacting yet, inset doors and 8 drawers. I made an Entertainment center with pull out Cd storage. Used borg hardware, crappy rails . I will proubly order one set to play with. The accuride site does have nice guides for installation.

Reply to
<tdevery>

Although sequencing your skills development is an excellent idea, IMHO that is not worth compromising the character of a dresser which, if done well will be around alot longer than a kitchen.

I figure the half-life of a kitchen is about 15-20 years (half of them are re-remodeled in that time frame) even if built well. Well-built dressers should have a half-life of four times that.

Maybe I'm just being a snob, but metal glides in a dresser look so "wallmart". Please don't do it.

-Steve

Reply to
Stephen M

My sympathies in advance ... reconsider, and build them after your casework is complete and you decide upon the slides you are going to use.

Reply to
Swingman

I agree with Swingman on this one. Build the dresser and then fit the drawers to the cabinet. Much easier to tweak a drawer to fit and opening than to tweak an opening to fit an existing drawer.

david

Reply to
David Penner

David wrote: I agree with Swingman on this one. Build the dresser and then fit the drawers to the cabinet. Much easier to tweak a drawer to fit and opening than to tweak an opening to fit an existing drawer.

(that's why I wished the OP luck.) Tom

Reply to
tom

I don't know much about woodworking, but I think you're supposed to build the case first, then the drawers. Each drawer then can be custom fit to the opening if need be. It would be really hard to build a case around a set of drawers and get the same fit.

Mike

Reply to
upand_at_them

If you build it this way this time, you will probably reverse the order if you ever do it again.

Not a bad Idea to plan the size of the drawers first because with many DT jigs you are limited to specific increments in drawer height but not a great idea building them first.

Personally I do not like metal slides on pieces of furniture. I would suggest simply building hard wood web frames and drawer sides and build to close tolerances.

Reply to
Leon

Even undermount metal glides?

brian

Reply to
brianlanning

Reply to
Mike Berger

I think the idea is that you don't want to hide the joinery. Undermounts or no hardware makes for a much cleaner look. I really liket he feel of a ball bearing slide though. I'm using full extension slides on my current project, but it's a shop project so I don't care so much.

I'm also very interested in the idea of nature combined with technology. I could see somehow working the drawer slides into a project so that they look like they belong, almost like a cyborg-tree that decided to grow metal drawer slides, maybe by air-brushing the slides so that the colors exactly match the wood near the front of the drawer, but turn into hard shiny metal as you go back. Never mind. I'm just babbling and thinking out loud.

brian

Reply to
brianlanning

I second the motion. There should be no metal in a dresser meant as fine furniture.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

The last kitchen I built I used Hittich QuadroV6, full extension undermounts. A well engineered slide, with a very expensive feel and, being completely hidden, one which I wouldn't hesitate to use on some furniture projects.

Swingman

Cabinet Makers Hardware. I see their catalog has Quadro V6 Concealed Drawer Slides.

Reply to
Leon

Yes, that's where I buy them. Not the ea$iest folks in town to deal with, but not a bad place for one $top cabinet hardware $hopping.

On that same note, there is a place tucked into a warehouse strip center off of old Katy Road that sells slides and hardware _real_ cheap. Can't remember the name, but my truck knows the way ... I could probably dig it up if you're not familiar with the place. That said, the Hittich slides would probably be too high dollar for them to handle.

Reply to
Swingman

I have not problems with them. I bought Kreg pocket hole screws there a couple of months ago, the 2.5" ones for 2x material, 500 screws for about $10.

When you get a chance I would appreciate the name and or address.

Reply to
Leon

Looks like they moved. They claim to have the same low prices, but it sounds as if someone else is runing it now.

Woodworkers Tool & Supply

6718 Brittmore Ph. (713) 466-9669
Reply to
Swingman