Help needed for Delta Contractor 34-410 saw

After my neighbor used my saw the freaking lift will not budge. The thing is so tight, he broke the lift handle and sheared off the roll pin holding it on!

What could cause the lift to lock up this tight?

Please... anybody?

Reply to
Markndawoods

The lock? Of does it not have an elevation lock? Or he simply insisted on turning the handle in the wrong direction trying to lift the blade.

Reply to
Leon

I haven't had one lock completely but have had one get pretty hard to turn. There a couple of things that can be wrong.

The easiest fix is to remove something that might be stuck in the gears that lift the blade. Since that's probably not it, there is a a sleeve that the elevating rod runs through. That sleeve can get full of gunk and pretty much keep the shaft from turning. You can get to it on the blade side of the front trunion. Try some WD40 (or something similar) and spray where the shaft goes through the sleeve on the blade side and on the crank side if you can get to it. Try turing the shaft a little as you add lube. Use a lot of lube with the little spray tube. You're trying to wash out anything that might be trapped in that sleeve. You can probably get a new pin at an auto parts store but if not you can use a couple of nuts (use them as jam nuts) to try to turn the shaft. Mike O.

Reply to
Mike

Hmmm, I wonder if this saw has a lock?! I don't even know? Got any ideas as to where I would look????

The carriage or trunnian does not move, it's like it is frozen.

Mark

Reply to
Markndawoods

Well I am not familiar with your particular saw however the most common location is a knob in the middle of the crank wheel. I think you would have noticed that. ;~) Some contractors saws had a clamp type lock for the blade tilt.

Perhaps the gear has a broken tooth that may be jammed in the rack. Some of those parts are not too well made.

Reply to
Leon

As was already said make sure the small knob on the lift wheel is loose and look for something broken inside.

The mechanism on the saw isn't great, mine (Jet) worked like crap brand new. but I found a fix for it. The site no longer exists but thanks to the WayBack machine you can still get to it.

instructions are long and are for adjusting slop but you should be able to follow them to fix your problem.

Good luck and post back what ended up being the problem.

Reply to
Limp Arbor

> The instructions are long and are for adjusting slop but you should be

Good explanation page. On mine, a 9" Delta Contractor (I don't have the model number handy) saw which was in my under-deck shop, the elevator shaft rusted along with the eccentric and froze up. No amount of soaking in whatever chemical I tried did any good. It sure was an education in the workings of that type of mechanism, though. Because that particular saw was over 20 years out of production, that specific part was not available. My fix? A new saw. (frown!)

Ed

Reply to
Ed Edelenbos