help needed finding article on lumber rack using 1" conduit

it's driving me crazy

Somewhere in FWW, FHB, or AW there is an article ~ short one ~ on using 1" conduit cut to length and inserted into an angled hole in 2x4 to make an adjustable lumber storage rack or adjustable shelving.

I've flipped through all my issues and I know it's hiding from me.

Reply to
nospam_coloradotrout

What do you need to know other than what you have written?

-- dadiOH ____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06... ...a help file of info about MP3s, recording from LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that. Get it at

dadiOH

This is what I saved from an earlier thread as I plan to do the same. Ken Johnsen wrote:

Can't remember where I saw it on the web, but I built a rack out of 3 vertical 2x4s attached to the floor & ceiling joists. 3' apart (like wall studs). Drilled 1" holes, 16" apart, in the edges at 5 degree angle (pointing up - prevents stock from slipping off) and slipped 12" lengths of 1" pipe into the holes Ken Joe Gorman wrote Was this plumbing pipe or EMT? I seem to recall one using EMT but

can't find it again. I need a rack but only want to make it once.

I used iron pipe, per the instructions. Just checked and it's 7/8" od 5/8" id

Reply to
Joe Gorman

On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 12:26:15 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, "dadiOH" quickly quoth:

That he should use forexfores and, say, a 4 degree up-angle?

- Metaphors Be With You -

Web Application Programming

Reply to
Larry Jaques

nospam snipped-for-privacy@mesanetworks.net wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I'm with the others - I think you pretty much nailed it. I did mine by:

- sistering 2x4's onto the existing wall 2x4's. Didn't want to be drilling large holes in structural framing

- made a jig to bore 7/8" hole (using a spade bit) into the 2x4's at a 2 degree upward angle. 2 degree was what "looked about right" to me.

- nailed/screwed them up - trying very hard to keep them level across all

2x4's

- inserted 12" long 3/4" galvanized pipe into the holes

- voila' - lumber rack

Reply to
Patrick Conroy