Help me pick a jointer

I've narrowed my list down to a few, so please let me know what you think about these machines. They are:

Ridgid 6". I know the Emerson version got good reviews, but what about the new ones that are supposedly made by Ryobi now? Are they the same model #?

Yorkcraft yc-6j. Appears to be a well built, good bang for the buck deal

Bridgewood BW-6R. Same as yorkcraft

Grizzly- Here are a fewquestions. After a little research, the 3 models in question are the G1182HW, z and zhw. The HW and Z are both at 325 (supposed sale on the z). I always though that the handwheels were better, but I could be off. What would be the difference between the HW and the Z aside from the levers or handwheels? And lastly, are the Handwheels on the ZHW (425) worth the extra 100 beans?

I don't want to get into a discussion about powermatic 8" or anything here, so if you have info I'd appreciate staying on topic. If there is another 6" jointer that I'm overlooking in the >400 range, please bring it up. Price is an issue, so under 400.00 is a must for me. Thanks guys.

Reply to
GBsCards

Hi, I have the Yorkcraft 6" jointer, love it, no problems what so ever.

Reply to
Tony

I've had a G1182HW for a little over a year and have been happy with it.

My previous jointer was a ToolCraft. I liked it; and like the Grizzly even more.

Reply to
Morris Dovey

I've never used any of the above, so I'll decline to comment on them. for another machine in that class that has reviewed well, look at the sunhill.

Reply to
bridger

I've got a Sunhill catalog in front of me, and the CT-60L sells for $425 plus shipping.

Bridgewood stuff has been kicking butt in every review I've read lately, though I haven't seen a review on their 6" jointer.

Joe

Reply to
Joe Tylicki

Check out Star Machinery (sorry, no URL). I bought an 8" for around a 6" price... fit and finish are OK, and after reading of a number of other brands here am satisfied with all other aspects as well! Tom

Reply to
Thomas Bunetta

JET is 379 at Menards, unless you just _have_ to have a closed stand. I built a new one for mine so it ducks under boards used on my tablesaw, so it wasn't a factor for me.

Reply to
George

I have the G1182HW, have had it for 3 years and have had no problems. I looked at the Grizzly website and can't tell the difference between this and the Z model except for the redesigned fence.

I just changed and reset my knives using a dial indicator and I can tell you that's where its convenient to have the handwheels. I read some real horror stories about people fine tuning with the levers. With the handwheels, I simply watch the indicator until a turned it to zero (for setting the outfeed and infeed tables).

The fence is more of a PIA to fine tune. Don't know if the "redesign" would help or not. I can get it square, just takes a few extra iterations to get it right.

Chuck

Reply to
WoodChuck34