Help! Insect ID

I was pulling some board off my storage shelf in my basement shop and on two different boards is saw two small white insects (one on each board). At first I thought they were termites, but they were REALLY small. I took laid a ruler next one and it a maybe 1/32" long. I am not sure termites can be that small. I have google my butt off and cannot find any reference to a termite of that size. Baby termite??

Any ideas??

Dave

Reply to
Dave - Parkville, MD

"Dave - Parkville, MD" wrote in news:Xns9CA88E54345C1debridgemangmailccoo@207.246.207.165:

I added a pic to ABPW

Reply to
Dave - Parkville, MD

How about posting a pic on the web, to some photo-sharing site? Lots of us don't have access to ABPW.

Reply to
Doug Miller

snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote in news:hbfpp5$enu$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

Try this:

Dave - Parkville, MD

...or even know what it is.

nb

Reply to
notbob

The shape doesn't look like a termite to me. It's small like a powder post beetle, but the damage to the wood in that picture points to a bigger bug. Powder post beetles leave tiny round holes like someone stuck an awl in the wood repeatedly.

Send your pictures ( a better close-up would be very helpful) to this place:

'll probably be able to identify it for you.

RicodJour

It's a binary news group.

alt.binaries.pictures.furniture

Reply to
Nova

That would be alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking

Reply to
Upscale

I think powder post beetles. The hole where they emerge is toothpick size but inside the excavations can be/are much larger. One thing sure, they aren't teredos :)

dadiOH

pupae and larvae are much larger than that. The damage to the wood sure looks like termite damage to me, though.

Reply to
Doug Miller

- Parkville, MD" wrote:

It's possible that there's termite damage and another bug as well. Termites defend their territory pretty aggressively, so it's possible the damage is from termites and older.

Google "wood boring insect tiny white" and click on the Images tab.

RicodJour

Smaller than anything I've seen, but I agree with what the fellow said over on ABPW - get those boards away from the rest of your supply or you could have a disaster on your hands. Turn 'em into firewood or put them in a heated kiln for a few weeks to kill the bugs. What kind of wood were they in and what kind of wood is in the rest of your supply?

I did a cursory search and didn't pin down any particular species, but you might try looking on

to see if you can figure out what kind of bugs they are. That site has an *incredible* array of photographs and resources. It didn't take me long at all to find the little bastards that wreak all the havoc with Mesquite trees here in Texas:

Steve Turner

Albino fleas?

Reply to
Gerald Ross

Looks like a "mite" to me.

spider mite type bug. Should bug bomb the wood or you will have them in the house.

Normally a vacuum is pulled and a bug spray is introduced.

Martin

Dave - Parkville, MD wrote:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

RicodJour wrote in news:223ad18b-cc66-40f6-9504- snipped-for-privacy@g19g2000yqo.googlegroups.com:

Just tried that. Don't see anything similar

Reply to
Dave - Parkville, MD

"Martin H. Eastburn" wrote in news:3zQCm.60121 $ snipped-for-privacy@en-nntp-04.dc.easynews.com:

Problem! The wood has been in the house! Any recommendation on insecticide to use that won't trash the wood?

Dave

Reply to
Dave - Parkville, MD

RicodJour wrote in news:e704f693-0f58-4207-9b88- snipped-for-privacy@o10g2000yqa.googlegroups.com:

I agree that it doesn't look like a termite. I also don't think it did the damage you see in the photo. The walnut is just the board it happend to be on.

Dave

Reply to
Dave - Parkville, MD

"Dave - Parkville, MD" wrote in news:Xns9CA895F0C857Bdebridgemangmailccoo@207.246.207.161: