Help! Insect ID

Page 1 of 2
I was pulling some board off my storage shelf in my basement shop and on two different boards is saw two small white insects (one on each board). At first I thought they were termites, but they were REALLY small. I took laid a ruler next one and it a maybe 1/32" long. I am not sure termites can be that small. I have google my butt off and cannot find any reference to a termite of that size. Baby termite??
Any ideas??
Dave

I added a pic to ABPW

How about posting a pic on the web, to some photo-sharing site? Lots of us don't have access to ABPW.
snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote in

The insect is waaaaay smaller than any termite I've ever seen; even termite pupae and larvae are much larger than that. The damage to the wood sure looks like termite damage to me, though.
On Oct 18, 5:01pm, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

It's possible that there's termite damage and another bug as well. Termites defend their territory pretty aggressively, so it's possible the damage is from termites and older.
Google "wood boring insect tiny white" and click on the Images tab.

Just tried that. Don't see anything similar
Looks like a "mite" to me.
http://www.ext.colostate.edu/PUBS/insect/05507.html
Small spider mite type bug. Should bug bomb the wood or you will have them in the house.
Normally a vacuum is pulled and a bug spray is introduced.
Martin
Dave - Parkville, MD wrote:

Problem! The wood has been in the house! Any recommendation on insecticide to use that won't trash the wood?
Dave
"Dave - Parkville, MD" wrote:

You have just raised the threat level from orange to red.
IMHO, time to quit screwing around and get a pro involved before you expose your home to a greater threat than you already have.
If it turns out the bug is benign, chalk it up to a lesson learned.
Lew
Talk to a house exterminator. They "Bag houses" and gas them.
In the state I used to live in and had lots of wood art and crafts for sale - they had to be gassed before delivery. Buy a redwood table and get it in a week. They had a container - cargo type - that was sealed - put in a massive amount of this week stuff - and suck it a bit - then fill it with gas.
They have the gas - and likely have a service. You might check the local furniture for like effects - get all done. Or have the whole house bombed as it might be in the house and got to the wood.
Suggest a home inspection for that item - and maybe save a wall or more.
Martin
Dave - Parkville, MD wrote:

...or even know what it is.
nb
notbob wrote:

It's a binary news group.
alt.binaries.pictures.furniture
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

That would be alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
Upscale wrote:

Doh, is that what the "W" for?
A brain fart on my part.
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA
Nova wrote:

There is a forum called alt.binaries.pictures.furniture. Not used any more by folks here. I took a look at it and found that the last real entry was dated in mid-2008. After that there be naught but dragons and spam.     mahalo,     jo4hn
jo4hn wrote:

I used to subscribe to both of them. That's why I got the two mixed up as I was typing.
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

May have a winner?
http://www.rcreptiles.com/blog/index.php/2008/10/16/what_mite_those_white _bugs_be

Maybe it's a ........... Normite : p
diggerop

The shape doesn't look like a termite to me. It's small like a powder post beetle, but the damage to the wood in that picture points to a bigger bug. Powder post beetles leave tiny round holes like someone stuck an awl in the wood repeatedly.
Send your pictures ( a better close-up would be very helpful) to this place: http://pmo.umext.maine.edu/homeowner/homeownerIPM-bugreporter.htm They'll probably be able to identify it for you.