Help for a newbie?

Hi all, hope this is the right group, if not hope someone will point me in the right direction

I am looking to make a bench out of some pine trees I recently cut down. Nothing fancy, but something almost like 3 logs together maybe sloping up?

( ) ( ) ( ) ( ) ( ) ^ ^ / \ / \

Hope this makes sense, if not hope it at least brings a laugh to you lol

Thanks in advance

Reply to
Clif

Googling "log furniture brought lots of hits.... perservere and you can probably find more like

Warman snipped-for-privacy@telusplanet.net

Reply to
Jim Warman

Is this some kind of pine that is free of pitch?

Dick

Reply to
Richard Cline

It is pine. what do you mean by pitch? sorry I am a computer geek trying to get in touch with nature lol

Thanks

Reply to
Clif

Pitch will put you "in touch" with nature. It is the gooey stuff that oozes from the pine tree. Difficult to remove from your hands or clothing. If your tree is heavy with it, the bench will not be practical.

Turpentine is made from the liquid of pine trees. Turpentine is a semifluid resin obtained from trees, mainly pines of the genus Pinus. A volatile oil called spirit of turpentine, oil of turpentine or, colloquially, turps can be extracted by distillation. Turpentine has been described simply as "distilled trees". Turpentine is used as a solvent, especially for thinning oil-based paints, and as a raw material for the chemical industry. Turpentine was also used in folk medicine for the treatment of intestinal worms or mixed with animal fat as a primitve chest rub for nasal and throat complaints. Some modern chest rubs still contain some turpentine (e.g., Vick's Vaporub).

Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

You'll find out when you sit on it. :-)

Pitch is the goo from which rosin and turpentine are made. It oozes out of 'pitch pockets' in pine logs. Some pines don't have a lot of it. True firs don't have it at all, IIRC.

Rodney Myrvaagnes NYC J36 Gjo/a

"Wanting to meet a writer because you like his work is like wanting to meet a duck because you like pate." Margaret Atwood

Reply to
Rodney Myrvaagnes

Ooooh what I call sap, ok theres not a lot of it in the part I am using, there was a lot in whats left in the ground, it oozed up, but nothing came out the bottom, maybe because I cut it up high, I dunno, but theres not a lot of it, I have been limbing (hope that is the right term) today and there is not much sap anywhere

Thanks for educating me lol

Reply to
Clif

Ed Pawlowski responds:

And it is getting ever more hard to locate. I wanted some, instead of mineral spirits, for an article I'm working on. Walmart and a couple other stores had these great looking cans--Turpentine big on the label, but directly under it, Imitation Turpentine (AKA mineral spirits, which sold in the next shelf space for $2.75 or so, while the imitation turps went for $3.97. Kind of a neat marketing trick if you like getting screwed).

I have to hit the independent paint store today.

Charlie Self

No, "sap" is what comes from oaks. When it's from maples, you boil it down into syrup.

Sap is a gentle thing with a gentle stickiness.

Pine pitch is the stuff that means when you get up off your bench, it sticks to your ass.

Reply to
chuck yerkes

LMFAO Well theres plenty of it to stick to...thanks for educating me lol

and mak>

Reply to
Clif