Power ? for the Grizz G0444Z TS & G1029Z DC

Grizzly said that both the table saw and dust collector draw 12 amps each on

220. The question I have is - is it OK to run both items at the same time off of the same circuit if I use 12/3 with ground Romex cable using a 20 amp double breaker, or do I have to have each one on their own circuit? I heard in reality that the circuit is only just drawing 12 amps when both are running at the same time. Another question I have for those of you who have the G0444Z table saw. The saw comes with standard 57" rails which have a 30" ripping capacity. What do you think about buying the model H5744 79" rails and legs, would that be overkill? I would like to build an extension table & cabinet under the right side of the saw. Thank you all for your opinions.
Reply to
Dave

You're trying to pull 24 amps off of a 20 amp circuit. The breaker will trip. 220 uses both legs of power thats why you have a "double breaker". If either leg exceeds 20 amps both legs open to ensure that the load is de-engergized. If only one side opened you would still have 110 volts to ground. You will need a larger breaker, but remember the breaker is there to protect the downstream wires from overload. Ensure your breaker is sized properly for the wires that you are running. I don't have my "Ugly's Manual" (I got mine at HD, under $10) handy or I would give you the right wire size to use.

Jim

Jim

Reply to
Mark L.

You're only trying to draw 24 amps when the saw is at maximum load. Most breakers have a little time leeway. The DC will probably draw close to its rated load all the time. If you're doing a bunch of heavy ripping, you might trip the breaker. Otherwise, not likely you'll exceed the rating of the breaker in the real world. Give it a try. If you're tripping the breaker with annoying frequency, run in the second circuit to the saw.

bob g.

Dave wrote:

Reply to
Robert Galloway

30A breaker, #10 wire.
Reply to
Norman D. Crow

What he said, but also you have to be sure not to start both at the same time, or you will surely trip the breaker. Another issue is voltage drop; if you have a long run you might not like the results. Hell, put in 10 gauge and do it right. BTW, why do you need /3? Does either tool require a neutral? Mine don't.

Reply to
toller

Thanks for all your opinions. In the September edition of Wood Magazine on page 97 second column there is an article about "Critical Questions about Workshop Wiring" that says both could run on one 20 amp 240 volt circuit. I was skeptical about it and thought I would put the question in this news group and see what you all thought about it. Thanks again for your responses.

Reply to
Dave

Dave,

I have the G1029 and it doesn't actually pull 12 amps when conected to hosts/ductwork/bags. In a typical setup with felt bags and 5 feet of

4" hose mine only uses about 7amps. With 6" ducting and a cartridge filter it now pulls 9-9.5 amps, but still will never go above 10 if the cover is on the blower.

As far as the long rails go... I would absolutly get them if you have the space. I have the G1023 with the 30" rails and I wish I had the extra length all the time. I recently moved my shop and have the space, and I intend to get the 7' rails the next time I go to grizzly.

Scott Wilson

Reply to
Scott Wilson