Help building spice rack

May I suggest a visit to your kitchen wares outlets to see the "standard" items available and get an idea of the "standard" offerrings and the measurements of interest to you.

Also, take your digital camera, tape and pencil/pad with you.

Spices used to come in a rather standard suite of containers when I was a boy. Now, the containers are part of the marketing efforts and one cannot count on finding the latest spice with integral grinder in the same size container the pepper came in.

What is true, however, is that the jars are relatively small and similarly enough in size that they get lost on the shelf behind their competition for one's attention and palette.

A strair step affair is sold that allows one to elevate the second and third (and so on) row of spice jars an inch or so above the one in front. THis helps.

Anothe option combines this approach with a turntable affair that makes the most of the space and actually improves access to that little can of Allspice that used to get lost in the rear.

If you have one of those high-end Kitchen stores in the neighborhood a visit could be worth the gas and time.

Reply to
Hoosierpopi

"Hoosierpopi" wrote

With the exception of those monster, commercial size spice containers sold at Costco.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Thank you for all the continued responses. Hadn't thought about "visiting" the local kitchen supply store. Not certain how they would feel if I bring my tools along for measuring.

Unfortuantely, the spice drawer idea, while very appealing, won't work in the kitchen we have. The kitchen needs a complete reno including ripping out a wall, right now it's about the 10'x10' and that's being generous. Barely can have two people in the kitchen at once because of where the doorways are and where the appliance plug-ins were located.. We've got a total of about

32" of usable countertop - unfortunately not in one continuous run -, and hence a total of 2 drawers which are used to hide the utensils from the kids. How we've avoided significant cooking injuries to date is a miracle.

Thanks again,

Alfred

Reply to
PinInCalgary

Depends on the spice. Many are harvested but once a year. They have to last for a year so that makes it even more important to store them properly.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I see, I w Depends on the spice. Many are harvested but once a year. They have to last for a year so that makes it even more important to store them properly. -------------------------------------------------

SFWIW:

I try to buy spices in the unground form, particularly things like black pepper and nutmeg, then store them in a dark place.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Take a camera with you and if someone questions your measuring everything, just explain that you're seeing how/if it will fit neatly in your kitchen.

Reply to
Upscale

=A0Serious cooks keep spices where the sun don't shine

Reply to
Hoosierpopi

Easiest way around that is to never buy your spices ground...them whole and grind them yourself as you need them.

This won't work for all spices, of course...paprika, chili, garlic and onion powdes come to mind.

And Penzeys has a fast enough turn over that I would not be too concerned about the couple of days of sunlight your oregano may get.

Mike

Reply to
davenport

With garlic and onion, there is a good compromise, Buy the dehydrated chopped stuff and make the powder from it when needed. A bit more involved, but I'd dried paprika peppers and chili too, but it is just easier to buy them ground.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I'll use onion powder, but never garlic. I find it far too bitter, and fresh garlic is always available.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone