Hardwood floors

I'm currently shopping for prefininshed oak flooring, for the first time. The samples I've been finding all visually appear to have a grain, as you would expect, with oak. But when touching the surface I can feel no grain imprint. Looking at it at an angle shows no blemish or indent in the surface, it just looks flat and artifical. Is this a real "clear" finish on real oak or is it a printed on pattern. Looking at the end grain sort of gives the impression that it is the real grain, but how do they get it so damn smooth.

Reply to
Nirodac

It is the difference between what can be accomplished in a highly sophisticated and controlled industrial process as compared to on-site. I am working on a job currently where they will use Giordano (sp?) flooring. I had a look at some samples and it is an incredible product. Somewhere around $15/sq/ft I believe.

Reply to
Joe Bemier

, but how do they get it

Maybe a clear pore-filler?