Harbor Fright Down Grades Quality Again

We should be talking "fair wage", not a minimum. The job should pay according to the skills and knowledge required. It has to be higher in NYC than in Podunk, Ohio too.

If some companies offered only minimum wage, no one would show up for work. If they do, however, they must deem it fair as they do go to work.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

you could buy at the reduced price and resell it on ebay there are some that like buying stuff online from ebay I don't know why but maybe they don't have HF nearby or don't have a credit card and only have paypal

Reply to
Electric Comet

On the SS, I should have said *after* 80-something, not *before*. Sorry.

I figured mine out quite a few years ago. IIRC, retiring at 62 and living to 80+, I got back what I paid for. If I last till 90, no way.

But the average recipient gets back considerably more than they paid in and yes, I'm including the employer contribution.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Then why is it that I put 10% away of gross my working life where my employer and myself contributed 12.4% to SS, yet I have been taking out twice out of my savings compared to what SS pays and my savings are still growing?

Reply to
Doug Winterburn

BTW, I retired at 55.

Reply to
Doug Winterburn

  1. That would probably be true IF the amount paid in laid fallow al those years
  2. The dollars paid out are worth a tiny fraction of those paid in.
Reply to
dadiOH

Gimme some credit. I added up contributions converted to todays dollars. That is, in many years, more than they would have earned in interest.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

What's the fact that you made good investments and were lucky got to do with the original discussion?

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Larry Blanchard wrote in news:mgu4ek$3d6$2 @speranza.aioe.org:

And then there's the insurance aspect of SS.

Reply to
Baxter

It has to do with the fact that SS as an investment is a poor one. People could do much better investing that 12.4% themselves for a retirement fund. The fact that you claim most people will take out more than they contributed only underscores how poor an investment SS is. I had no insider knowledge in my investments, only the standard mutual funds, bonds, reits, etc - all done by my financial advisor with my permission. I also didn't make a huge amount of money, although I usually maxed out on SS contributions before the end of the year. Luck had absolutely nothing to do with it, unless you consider planning ahead to be luck.

Reply to
Doug Winterburn

Interest over 40 or 50 years?

Reply to
krw

Which is completely irrelevant.

Reply to
krw

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

You got that right!

Reply to
krw

No, there is no such thing as "fair".

It is a contract. It takes two.

Reply to
krw

...except that it's not.

Reply to
krw

Maybe not "exactly", but (hopefully) you get my point. Or even better, let's just drop it. I don't wish to offend any full time traders or lawyers.

But it seems like the easiest way to trade is to get into congress, where you are allowed to trade on inside information (I find this repugnant). I'll stand up against that if you like.

Reply to
Bill

No, I really don't get your point but it sounds like cluelessness to me.

I'll stand with you on that one but it is a very different situation.

Reply to
krw

That's me! Clueless... lol %-)

Reply to