Harbor Freight - NO PRIVACY

It's a workaround, that's for sure, but the argument goes that a company he had been doing business with was offering its customers a deal through....

Credit card types are big on offering "deals" to customers of (any name here) to circumvent the rules, if the local complaint register is any indication.

Reply to
George

Lemme guess, you're from rec.woodworking...you've got such a nice, polite way about you.

-- Chuck *#:^) chaz3913(AT)yahoo(DOT)com Anti-spam sig: please remove "NO SPAM" from e-mail address to reply. <

September 11, 2001 - Never Forget

Reply to
Chuck

That's what that ringing noise is for.

So does the national do-not-call registry. I signed up with my state registry over a year ago, which carried over to the national one, and haven't gotten a single call except from my phone and cable companies since then, and I just told them I didn't want any sales calls and that was the end of it.

-- Chuck *#:^) chaz3913(AT)yahoo(DOT)com Anti-spam sig: please remove "NO SPAM" from e-mail address to reply. <

September 11, 2001 - Never Forget

Reply to
Chuck

For Zip code, I usually give an old one, the GE Schenectady NY Main Plant. 12345. Amazing how many people don't think that is a real zip.

jk

Reply to
jk

Easy to do. Just get the first three numbers of your exchange,such as 555 and then start dialing from 0000 to 9999. I bet I would be able to get your phone number.

Regards, Bernd

Reply to
Bernd

Ok, I work nights. That means I sleep days. Before the no call lists, I had to take the phone off the hook so I could get uninterrupted sleep. But my bosses complained that they couldn't get hold of me for emergencies. So I had a problem. If I left the phone on the hook, I'd be woken up dozens of times a day by the damn telemarketers. If I didn't leave the phone off the hook, my bosses would be mad at me when they couldn't reach me.

I opted to let the bosses be pissed, because it was the better alternative to my being groggy from interrupted sleep every night at work. But when the no call lists came out, I signed up. Very very few telemarketers now call. I can leave the phone on the hook and count on getting uninterrupted sleep most every day, except when there really is an emergency at work (not often).

For people in my situation, the no call lists have been a godsend.

Gary

Reply to
Gary Coffman

And the charge the store where you bought your stuff up to 5% for handling the money. Ask the store for a 5% or 3% cash discount (or whatever they pay in vendor fee) if you don't charge it. Banks and finance companies are nothing more than leeches, financial parasites who siphon funds from the economy without adding comparable value to the overall proposition. They depend on "stupid consumers" for their survival. Vladimir Lenin, father of Soviet communism called them "useful idiots". Banks think of you much the same way -- a number on a computer that they can bilk for a few more bucks. And the bigger the bank, the worse they are.

CE

Reply to
Clarke Echols

And the charge the store where you bought your stuff up to 5% for handling the money. Ask the store for a 5% or 3% cash discount (or whatever they pay in vendor fee) if you don't charge it. Banks and finance companies are nothing more than leeches, financial parasites who siphon funds from the economy without adding comparable value to the overall proposition. They depend on "stupid consumers" for their survival. Vladimir Lenin, father of Soviet communism called them "useful idiots". Banks think of you much the same way -- a number on a computer that they can bilk for a few more bucks. And the bigger the bank, the worse they are.

CE

Reply to
Clarke Echols

Yup...I agree...banks and finance companies don't deserve to make a profit from the services they render. They should do it for free...and the people that work for them should just donate their time. Of course...then they wouldn't be able to buy the goods & services that the rest of us, more deserving people, provide.

Clarke Echols wrote:

Reply to
Randy Rhine

Mr. Echols,

Calling potential customers, "stupid consumers" because we have and use credit cards is not going to help your DC kit sales.

What "comparable value" do you provide? You make and sell DC kits for consumers --- to make money, plain and simple. You take no responsibility for the product design (it's someone else's), and no responsibility for how well the kit works after it's assembled, plus you do not offer a product warranty that I could find.

How does that differ from a bank or credit card company? They also offer services --- to make money.

According to your web site, you state, "We accept bank and postal money orders and cashiers checks as payment" - which cost the consumer.

Then you state "We do not accept credit-card or Pay-Pal because of the fees charged by banks and others to the seller, and we would have to add them to our pricing structure. Many banks (though not all) offer cashiers checks at no charge to regular customers, and postal money orders are usually quite economical."

One could surmise that you are a hypocrite sir.

Your site as well as your business acumen - still need work. The last time you posted here, you tried scare tactics - we still aren't biting.

Bob S.

Reply to
Bob

Thanks Chuck, you beat me to it.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

Friend of mine solved the same problem thusly: When the boss got upset because he couldn't reach him in an emergency, he explained the situation and offered to split the cost of a pager. The boss thought it a great idea and got pagers for several key employees == and he paid for them...

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry

I believe that's how Lenin referred to the brainless drones who could be convinced to unquestioningly parrot the "Party" line...like slamming capitalism in the name of "fairness." Duh.